Boxster performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by JFScheck
I know if Acura can make a 270 horse 3.2 liter naturally asperated engine than so can Porsche, just why are they holding back? Are they that worried that the Boxster will cut into 911 sales?
Yes, exactly. Porsche will forever market the Boxster below the 911...to do this they must keep the power below the 911. 'Cause if they didn't, the Boxster would spank the 911. And they won't have that.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:50 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dove
Interesting stuff,I guy I know has an "s" with the turbo mod you describe,it produces 450 bhp and is really awsomely fast.The car is currently for sale at £25,000

Paul
$45k US - great price!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:58 AM
Mik
Track Day

You didn't disagree with me. I said that intake. He's got a K&N, not the EVO cold air intake. I also said he got nothing from the S exhaust, nor should he expect to find much from any aftermarket exhaust.

Mik, we agreed not disagreed!

-Paul
Oops, sorry Paul, my apologies. I must have misread your post.

BTW guys, there are a number of tuners that can do the BiTurbo conversion, however I don't know of any in North America, other than those guys who put together the red Boxster which was featured on the cover of Excellence some time back (which was for sale on ebay a few weeks back for 50K or so). Check this site out http://www.ramis-porsche.com/links.htm, PSI performed the operation on his car, others that come to mind are TTP, and ofcourse Gemballa (but I haven't heard one good thing about Gemballa).

As for other modifications, for 15K to 20K I would rather spend the money on a 3.4L or a 3.6L conversion. The 3.6L is usually performed on year 2002 and up as there is a difference in the wiring between the 2001 and 2002 models. A 3.6L can be dropped in an earlier model but it is a bit more painful.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:02 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I strongly considered the 3.4 or 3.6 conversion (3.6 will be more than 20k most likely, with the rare engine being uber-expensive and extensive modifications) but decided to go for the most bang for my buck. My car should have over 400 reliable hp, whereas the 3.4 produces about 330-350. I know that it's tough to get the Boxster to handle even the 350, but with proper tuning of the suspension, wide rubber, and careful engine mapping, I'm sure it can be done, as it's done on the GT2 with even more power.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by schvetkaaks
I strongly considered the 3.4 or 3.6 conversion (3.6 will be more than 20k most likely, with the rare engine being uber-expensive and extensive modifications)...
Shop around. My mechanic has a used '99 3.4 motor for $5k. I've also seen them pop up on eBay occasionally. Anyway, I've talked to my mechanic about stuffing the 3.4 in my car...he didn't seem to think it would be too much trouble. I guessed, motor and all, under $10k...minus whatever I could sell my 2.5 for (probably not much!). If I didn't have another project car going, I'd be all over this.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by doclaw64
chipping and headers and intake are the ways I have heard to get more power. You have to do all three to get the power. The headers and intake are needed to get full advantage of the new chip. Of course going to the track/de/autox is a good way to show you have a lot to learn and help you drive better.
I agree, without an engine swap or forced inductions these three mods are your best bet.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a guy on PPBB who did a 3.4L swap for about $7k. He said it was a complete PITA and took his mechanic about two months to get everything right. But he also says the results are great.

Here's a link to his site.

3.4L Boxster Conversion
Old 05-19-2004, 03:02 PM
loudes13
User

I always thought a 986 S w a GT3 engine would be the perfect street car!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with you Allen. I'm saving for that conversion. 380hp from a better built engine and transmission. When I have to put a new motor in my car that's what will go in there.

I also have to agree with the statement about attending DE's and what not. I found 1.5 seconds at Cal. Speedway last weekend with no mods to the car, just figuring out how to drive it faster. The Boxster is not unlike the 944 in this regard. It is a momentum car. It is well balanced which affords you the ability to carry speed through the corners. The BEST way to improve the performance of a Boxster is to improve the driver.

The second best way to improve the performance of a Boxster is to enhance the suspension.

Quick Reply: Boxster performance?