Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to sell a car w/ failing IMS (still runs)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 03:44 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by rntrg
Progress! RMS is definitely seeping oil. I may swap that out too before I close it back up.

I’m currently working on fabricating the cam locking tools, after which point I will do the actual bearing swap. Clutch is low but still has some life left in it. I’m trying to avoid dumping too much money into this before I know if the engine will survive, so I’m probably going to leave that for another day. 🤞🤞

Someone was in there before, which I assume you've already figured out. I'm guessing the IMS flange was also removed and resealed by the copious amount of sealant on everything. Obviously whatever they did it didn't help with how much oil the engine is leaking.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:56 PM
pilot4fn
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like your clutch might have some oil splashes. If that's the case, it will not last there much more before starting to slip real bad.
I had similar issue due to the RMS oil leak. New clutch gives you peace of mind - to save money now, consider getting used full set with flywheel (since it does look pretty bad at least from the surface and can't be resurfaced).
Old 03-28-2023, 04:32 PM
rntrg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Someone was in there before, which I assume you've already figured out. I'm guessing the IMS flange was also removed and resealed by the copious amount of sealant on everything. Obviously whatever they did it didn't help with how much oil the engine is leaking.
Interesting. That gunk did look a little suspicious. Can’t wait to see what kind of bearing is in there.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:34 PM
rntrg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pilot4fn
Looks like your clutch might have some oil splashes. If that's the case, it will not last there much more before starting to slip real bad.
I had similar issue due to the RMS oil leak. New clutch gives you peace of mind - to save money now, consider getting used full set with flywheel (since it does look pretty bad at least from the surface and can't be resurfaced).
That’s an interesting idea. Is eBay the place to search for things like that?
Old 03-28-2023, 04:50 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Interesting. That gunk did look a little suspicious. Can’t wait to see what kind of bearing is in there.
Looks like a single row.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 03-28-2023 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rntrg (03-28-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:54 AM
pilot4fn
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That’s an interesting idea. Is eBay the place to search for things like that?
Most likely scrap yards is the place to find a used clutch and flywheel package. eBay is possibility as well - I have never searched used parts other places than UK based Douglas Valley Breakers.
https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/pres...he-boxster-986
Old 03-29-2023, 10:26 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Looks like a single row.
Based on examining the flange in his picture, his car has a dual row bearing.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:24 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the idea now, that his engine was designed for a dual row but someone put a single row in? I'm confused. All that sealant is disappointing.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:37 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Bush Pilot
Is the idea now, that his engine was designed for a dual row but someone put a single row in? I'm confused. All that sealant is disappointing.
IMHO, this appears to be the original factory dual row bearing, but at some point a mechanic pulled the IMS bearing flange and attempted to reseal it to prevents leaks judging for the extra sealant that is present around the edges.

Watch this video from LN Engineering:

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 03-29-2023 at 05:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
damage98MO (04-02-2023), rntrg (04-09-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:58 PM
rntrg
Intermediate

Getting back to this today. I am about to try to pull the bearing. I have a pilot bearing puller attachment and a slide hammer. Is this a horrible idea to use a slide hammer as gently as possible to remove the old bearing? I have an alternative approach if absolutely necessary, using a bolt & pipe to slowly back the bearing out using the pilot bearing puller attachment, but I haven’t yet been able to find a bolt/nut with the proper size/thread pitch.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:37 PM
rntrg
Intermediate

Is this a horrible idea to use a slide hammer as gently as possible to remove the old bearing?
Yeah, almost 100% sure this was a bad idea. Thankfully I only gave it a few whacks before realizing I was yanking on the entire IMS/chain assembly. 😬

Out hunting & gathering the bits I need.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:43 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Doesn't LN Engineering offer to let you borrow the correct tools when you purchase one of their bearings? Just sayin.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:32 PM
rntrg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bush Pilot
Doesn't LN Engineering offer to let you borrow the correct tools when you purchase one of their bearings? Just sayin.
See earlier posts in this thread for why I can’t use an LN product (yet).
Old 04-29-2023, 10:05 AM
rntrg
Intermediate

Well I broke down and bought the dang LN tools. Feel like I spent about that much already trying *not* to buy them. 🤦‍♂️

In any case, from the back, the bearing looks pristine and spins smoothly. So, maybe my issues really do stem from chains/guides after all? Will know better once it’s out.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:13 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 206 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Basically, what you have is a "roller"; while it still runs, the engine is done, and the car's value is the same as one without an engine. At best, you should be looking at getting a couple grand out of what is left.

totally agree, needs an engine rebuild which is more expensive than what a GOOD 2000 is worth, just advertise it as such, should be able to get 3500 for it still running if it is in good shape

Quick Reply: How to sell a car w/ failing IMS (still runs)