Scratching noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 09:14 AM
JoH
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Scratching noise from engine

Hello. New user here and first post.

I bought my 1997 Porsche Boxster in August last year knowing it needed some love to return to its' original glory, despite being in quite good shape generally. It has 110 000km on the odometer, and motor has been running very smooth. I had 5000$ put into maintenance (IMS, RMS, clutch, suspension, wheels and other small things like coolant reservoir). Otherwise I am very keen on doing what I can myself as well.

Yesterday after taking it out for a drive I noticed a faint scratching-like sound coming from the engine area. This could only be heard from inside the car, not when being outside the car. The scratching sound does not change in tempo with any gears (or free) or with speed. It sounds the same while idle and while driving. As most people would, I went to search online about this, but I didn't feel much wiser after. Does anyone have any experience with the same type of issue, or know what it might be?

I have added a video where the sound can be heard to the post, as well as a picture of my car, as this is my first post here :-)

Guards red 986 (yes- those extra headlights are gone as soon as the snow is gone)
Attached Files
File Type: mov
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 01:34 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe my 68 year old ears are failing but all I hear is an idling engine. Smooth at that. I don’t hear any scratching sound.
JoH (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 03:25 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi. Nice car! I love that red. I’ve got a 97 too. I’ve been working on other issues and while doing that I’ve noticed the insulation foam that is lining the engine bay is becoming detached and in one case fell down where it could rub on the pulleys and belt. Since you want be able to werk on your own car, you might as well start by getting it into Service Mode and taking off the access cover in the cockpit and doing an inspection.
JoH (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 03:28 PM
enorab
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me more like a rattle of a loose fastener or something like that. Maybe a loose engine cover hold down. That could be why you can't hear it from the outside of the car. Just my guess at this time.

John
JoH (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:20 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Perhaps a pulley or idler bearing... pull the front engine cover (behind the seats) and listen.
JoH (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:41 PM
JoH
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback from you all! Took a round today to check the engine both from the top and the front cover behind the seats. Looked to be all OK around the pulley's and belt, and with the covers off I did not hear much of the noise. After putting the covers back on (and checking all potential loose fasteners) sound was still faintly there. Perhaps that's just a normal sound and I am being a bit paranoid. I'll have an ask at next inspection at the Porsche Center, and update the thread again if there's any interesting results
Old 02-05-2023, 05:01 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Mid engined cars of any manufacturer will alway generate sounds you simply won’t recognise compared to front/rear mounted units. IMO, yours sounds completely normal. Chill and enjoy your ride…it looks fabulous
JoH (02-07-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 07:47 AM
JoH
5th Gear

Update:

Took the car in for a diagnostic to calm my nerves. Turns out it was the worst possible scenario. IMS was faulty, and RMS leaking oil. Metal flakes in oil filter and oil confirmed this also, in addition to listening to the IMS with strethoscope.

I had the IMS and RMS replaced to a permanent solution in September, thinking that this would eliminate the infamous IMS bearing engine failure, but I guess I just have very bad luck. Now sent back to the mechanic that did the replacement for "warranty repair", but I doubt that it will cover an engine rebuild.

In other words, lesson learned.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:51 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

The audio doesn’t support bearing failure. Generally, a failing IMS tends to make a racket when the engine is first fired up, not when idling. Often it will just pop without any advanced warning. However, metal in the oil isn’t good. Please keep us updated on the findings. Good luck
Old 02-11-2023, 09:12 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JoH
Update:

Took the car in for a diagnostic to calm my nerves. Turns out it was the worst possible scenario. IMS was faulty, and RMS leaking oil. Metal flakes in oil filter and oil confirmed this also, in addition to listening to the IMS with strethoscope.

I had the IMS and RMS replaced to a permanent solution in September, thinking that this would eliminate the infamous IMS bearing engine failure, but I guess I just have very bad luck. Now sent back to the mechanic that did the replacement for "warranty repair", but I doubt that it will cover an engine rebuild.

In other words, lesson learned.
Which IMS “permanent solution”? There is only one, as far as I am concerned (LNE’s).
Old 02-11-2023, 09:45 AM
rntrg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh no! Was the bearing replacement an LN Engineering product? If so, did the mechanic pre-qualify the car first and did they register it with LNE? You should check those things - LNE should know in any case if it’s their product. Seems to me either the original bearing was already failing or failed when you bought the car and thus had metal contamination which killed the new bearing, or it was faulty or improperly installed. My bet is on the former. Sorry for your bad luck - I’m facing a failing bearing with my 2000 Boxster.

Quick Reply: Scratching noise from engine