Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 993 Turbo (impressions vis-à-vis Boxster S)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004 | 02:00 AM
Sean
Drifting

Default Test drove a 993 Turbo (impressions vis-à-vis Boxster S)

Recently test-drove a 1997 993 Turbo with 40k miles. There were some surprises. It’s an awesome ride, yes – but is it really better than the Boxster S? Here are some impressions.

Exterior styling – even. Classic lines of the 993 are tough to beat, but the Boxster is a great looking car.

Interior: even. Sure the 993 is Spartan and clean, but the design of the 986 interior is looking better to my eyes every day (especially after seeing the disappointing photos of the upcoming 987/997 interior). This turbo had deviated stitching and red seat belts (my Boxster has full leather, deviated stitching and yellow belts). The five-gauge layout of the 993 is nice, but so is the three-spoke steering wheel of the Boxster S.

Engine note: Boxster S. This surprised me. You really need to roll down the windows of the turbo to get a good dose of air-cooled engine music. But the Boxster sounds great, especially with the top down.

Acceleration: 993 Turbo (brutally fast when the turbo spools!)

Brakes: even (probably the same)

Tranny: Boxster S. The shifts just seem more crisp.

Suspension: even (I have 030 on the S.) Now someone may tell me that the Turbo suspension is more advanced than that of the Boxster S - maybe so - but it did not feel substantially different in ride quality from the 030 on my S.

A/C: Boxster S. The a/c in the 993 Turbo was barely effective – that thing got hot, and had no sunroof. (Of course, I was turning off the a/c sometimes to get a full dose of engine music - the A/C at full blast was loud.)

Convertible top: Boxster S, obviously. Tough to beat the top down experience. The Turbo had no sunroof.

Build quality: Slight nod to the 993 Turbo thanks to the traditional door “thunk.” Switchgear was about the same, to my surprise.

Handling: not enough info – I didn’t push the 993 through corners on the test drive. It will be tough to out handle the sublimely balanced mid-engined Boxster, BUT the Turbo's all-wheel drive probably carries the day.

Summary:
It may sound strange, but I looked at my Boxster with a new level of respect after driving the 993 Turbo. Don’t get me wrong: I’m not knocking the Turbo! The rush of acceleration is worthy of an amusement park ride – it’ll peel back your eyelids. To me that was the core of the fun – it’s ludicrously fast in a way that the Boxster S is not. But in pretty much every other category the Boxster S goes toe to toe with the Turbo – and even surpasses it in some (it’s hard to lower the top on a Turbo coupe).

I still might get a 993 Turbo – it’s a great car – but the test drive really made me appreciate the Boxster S that much more. As Karl Ludvigsen said, “it is a masterpiece.”
Old 05-10-2004 | 07:58 AM
Tour18
Banned

Sounds pretty accurate to me... Except the AC on the 993 may need charging...
Old 05-10-2004 | 11:45 AM
craigg
Instructor

I would concur on most of these points.

My buddy has a 993 Twin Turbo with all-wheel drive and the handling, while impressive, did not leave the Boxster S lacking. The big thing he and I both noticed was in the clutch release. The Boxster clutch is MUCH nicer than in the Turbo. Maybe because of the amount of power, Porsche has done something to the clutch, but he LOVED my Boxster clutch.

His AC was quite good so I suspect it is as Tour18 says - needs a recharge.

The Turbo power was truly awesome but funnily enough, my buddy says that once he got used to it, he felt he could have handled a "little more" here and there. Never enough, I guess.

Old 05-10-2004 | 12:30 PM
Sean
Drifting

Maybe I shouldn't have included A/C in the comparison. It worked okay when turned up full blast, but it was louder than the engine! So I would turn it off to hear the engine, and then the interior temperature would skyrocket. We emerged from the test drive rather sweaty.

Maybe this 993 Turbo needs a sport exhaust.

Also, maybe my expectations were a little high. I just know that when I walked back to my Boxster S, I was viewing it a little differently. I loved the Turbo power, but wouldn't trade it for the convertible top and Boxster S engine note. Sometimes we take for granted the car in our own garage!
Old 05-11-2004 | 09:29 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Sean - do you have a contact number or weblink for the turbo? any additional info on the car (I'm assuming that you are not looking to buy it)?

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2004 | 10:03 AM
Sean
Drifting

David, it's at a new place here in town called Platinum Imports. They're so new I don't think they have a website yet.

Car is silver with black interior, 40k miles, said to be stock but for TechArt pedals and a rear "GT" wing (don't know the brand of the wing). Two owner car. No wrecks. One very minor chip on the rear bumper that they intend to repair. It needs a good detailing, which they will give it.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you some photos. Of course, that may mean another test drive is in order.
Old 05-11-2004 | 04:58 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Sean...also got your PM. Ideally I'd like to find either a yellow or white one...silver is also on my list but preferably with a red interior. Don't get me wrong, I love silver (and black) Porsches but there are so damn many of them in those colors...esp in LA!

Any idea how much they are asking for? I'll let you know if I decide to chase this one.

THanks again!

p.s. how do you like the Vintage?
Old 05-12-2004 | 03:21 PM
Sean
Drifting

David, they were asking $72k (I thought that was probably high by $10k). The dealership is selling it on consignment for a local owner.

The Spyder has been a blast! It's loud as hell, and has a great power/weight ratio (180HP in a 1300-pound body).
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2004 | 11:26 AM
ScottS
Instructor

David

check out http://www.raycoeuro.com/html/97Pors...rboYellow.html
for a very nice yellow 993 TT - I have no connection just a site I frequent

ScottS
Old 05-16-2004 | 01:32 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

thanks Scott

Quick Reply: Test drove a 993 Turbo (impressions vis-à-vis Boxster S)