Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stories from enthusiast engine builders/rebuilders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 12:31 PM
flmont
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default should I rebuild.?

If your leak down and compression number's are good, there would be no real reason to rebuild the engine correct, I would do the cam pad's and general engine out type Maintenance, My engine is a 2002 2.7 has 95K runs fine and idles fine and doesn't use oil within its 5 K mile oil changes,( I do have the chain rattle on start up ) but that's the only issue I have .I have not done these test yet ( but I will soon ) so I'am just curios, Thanks, Frank
Old 12-14-2022, 04:23 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

OTOH, since Jake has identified something like 29 causes of failed engines, and his rebuilds may include parts intended to address many of those issues, it may be worthwhile to find out which of those are addressed in his rebuild versus your rebuild using parts from whatever source. I know they are freaking expensive and a long wait to even get a ship to him date but...

Your choice.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:45 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
OTOH, since Jake has identified something like 29 causes of failed engines, and his rebuilds may include parts intended to address many of those issues, it may be worthwhile to find out which of those are addressed in his rebuild versus your rebuild using parts from whatever source. I know they are freaking expensive and a long wait to even get a ship to him date but...

Your choice.
I don’t have a list of Jake’s cause of failures, but I do know the LN rebuild kits address many of them if you buy the Deluxe option.
(Chromoly Oil pump drive, billet tensioner paddle, ARP hardware, Carroll rods, etc)
That along with IMS pinning, Nickies, and the IMS Solution, the UAOS, and new injectors will make your engine much more reliable.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:13 PM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default performance class etc

The rebuild dvd is wonderful.

The recorded performance class is really good also.
Interestingly in this class he answers some questions that have arisen on the forums.
For example:why does my rebuilt engine with a stroker crankshaft keep blowing up.

And has some dyno evidence on the effectiveness of various mods.

Im in the process of rebuilding my m97
cost around around 17k
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 02:24 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,282 Posts

I can't wait for Jakes M9x Performance book to be published.
It will contain more recently acquired data!
The info he has shared with current F6I owners is staggering and it's just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm seeing Boxsters for sale with close to 200k mi. on the original engine and still going strong. I could see upgrading to some of these items but not sure I would do much if my engine were out, just to make it more reliable.

Quick Reply: Stories from enthusiast engine builders/rebuilders?