Sponsored by:

Retired guy with time...What to do with a 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 12:52 PM
Joyknuckels
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retired guy with time...What to do with a 3.2

Recently picked up a Boxster S (01) as my track toy. Bone stock street car. I have a lot of track time in older 911s and 944s and was expecting more from the 3.2. Before I start with the tires and suspension I'd really like to be a bit more excited about that motor. 50/50 Street/track car. The 3.2 is coming out for maintenance either way. Searching here there's a ton of ideas. I've got time, some cash, and skills. Ideas? Add-ons don't seem that exciting but if they make a real seat of the pants difference I'm open. 3.4 swap? Pricey but not out of the question. Feedback on the LS swap seems problematic for a track car. 2 cents from those that have been there would be appreciated.

Of course the first bit of feedback is going to be "Driving School!" I agree. Been there, now an instructor with a good amount of PCA race time under his belt.

TIA
Old 09-29-2022, 03:54 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I recently took my 08 BMW 335i to Arroyo Seco in Western New Mexico for a time attack day. I learned some interesting things that day. On THAT course the fastest cars were stripped out Civics and Miatas with superchargers. Higher horsepower cars that were there, mine, a Shelby GT350 and an early Viper weren't that fast in comparison. On THAT track the Viper and GT350 just weren't able to take advantage of their power. There was one straight where I would get up to 100 mph prior to braking but that's it. My times were aligned with stock Miatas with intermediate drivers. If I were you, I'd leave the engine as is and reduce the weight of the car especially the rolling weight, i.e. wheels and tires. If it's a track toy, remove the AC and other accessories not needed. Swapping engines in my mind is a huge redesign project and you typically are going to run into issues you've never thought of such as cooling. If you really want more acceleration than a weight reduction would provide then I would recommend getting a car with more power from the factory where that redesign work was done professionally by the engineers.

Last edited by Bush Pilot; 09-29-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:12 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

What are your emissions rules where you license the car?

How much do you want to spend? Engines available cost up to $30k and a year wait.

Are you racing or HPDE?

Quick Reply: Retired guy with time...What to do with a 3.2