Sponsored by:

Clamshell won't go all the way down

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 09:26 PM
porschepotato
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clamshell won't go all the way down

Already checked plastic bit on the push rod, doesn't seem cracked. I went to a mechanic today and he said my right pushrod was bent and was an easy fix. When I came back home, I took an extra careful look at it and it doesn't seem bent? Or maybe I'm delusional.

Also, the clamshell will go down if I keep on raising it a little bit then letting it drop. Eventually it sorts itself out but never works on the first try.

Left pushrod

Right Pushrod
Old 10-03-2022, 08:33 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Yours looks like a newer 986 than mine, so I can't comment in detail, as the switch arrangement is different between ours. What I will say is that there are 2 switches which control the final positions of the top. Per your picture, it looks like the switch that tells the control unit the clamshell is closed is being activated before it is actually closed. Does the clamshell close properly when the top is closed?

Another thing I notice is that both your top links are fully extended. Notice the slotted adjustment holes. Perhaps this is related to your clamshell issue.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:18 PM
porschepotato
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geza
Yours looks like a newer 986 than mine, so I can't comment in detail, as the switch arrangement is different between ours. What I will say is that there are 2 switches which control the final positions of the top. Per your picture, it looks like the switch that tells the control unit the clamshell is closed is being activated before it is actually closed. Does the clamshell close properly when the top is closed?

Another thing I notice is that both your top links are fully extended. Notice the slotted adjustment holes. Perhaps this is related to your clamshell issue.
The clamshell closes properly when the top is closed yes. Everything is aligned. Could you point me to the top links you're referring to in the photo? Sorry if it's obvious. Unless you meant the push rod adjustment which has always been in that position.

I also replaced the right pushrod with a new one, the old one was not bent at all and the same issue, the clamshell does not go down.

Last edited by porschepotato; 10-04-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:58 AM
Geza
Pro

Yours looks like a 2000 or newer, so the b-pillar switch is built into the right side transmission. The clam shell switch should be on top of the motor and easily accessible (center rear of where the clamshell closes).

First thing I would do is, with the top open in the service position, tape the clamshell switch down (or have another hand hold it closed) to simulate the clamshell being closed. In this position, if you try to open the top (via the switch), nothing will happen, but it will allow the top to be closed. If this your result, nothing is wrong with the clamshell switch.

Next thing would be to disconnect the 2 top push rods either via the white ball ends or the screw at the transmission boomarang link (I prefer to remove the screw). With the top rods out of the way and the top partially open, close the top (via the switch) to see if the clamshell closes properly. If it does, then it appears your problem with clamshell not closing is somehow related to the top activating the clamshell switch before the clamshell activates it. That's where I would focus my attention.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:07 PM
mconnolly911
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

I experienced a problem with my clamshell on my '98 Boxster this spring. In my case, the clamshell became 'uneven' (one side more open than the other) and then got jammed when trying to close. I tried to slowly open and close to unjam, but to no avail. I ended up unhooking the pushrods to both the clamshell and the convertible top, and basically converting to a fully manual top, opening and closing first the clamshell and then the convertible top by hand. I actually prefer the manual operation, as it allows me to be extra careful of both the convertible top and plastic rear windshield (both are original and 24+ years old now) when opening and closing.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:23 AM
Geza
Pro

Originally Posted by Geza

With the top rods out of the way and the top partially open, close the top (via the switch)....
Correction: Open the top via the switch....

Quick Reply: Clamshell won't go all the way down