Sponsored by:

Sweet Spot

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 02:22 PM
1stState
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sweet Spot

Just getting started here, trying to not jump in without good intel. Is there a year or years that are both less likely to have ims bearing and cylinder scoring issues? Thx in advance
Old 09-30-2022, 04:17 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Recommend researching this on the LN Engineering website for IMS Bearing info. Not sure about the scoring. I believe that the 96-99 motors had a dual row IMS bearing with a 1% failure rate vs 00-04???? had a dual row IMS with a 10% failure rate.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:02 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bush Pilot
Recommend researching this on the LN Engineering website for IMS Bearing info. Not sure about the scoring. I believe that the 96-99 motors had a dual row IMS bearing with a 1% failure rate vs 00-04???? had a dual row IMS with a 10% failure rate.
You have a typo,,, the later cars had a single row bearing. Normally up to 2000 a dual row was installed and 2001 was a crossover year with engines with both kinds of bearings... but sometimes earlier cars have a single row, probably because of an engine change at some point. I have looked at 3 IMS bearings from MY 2000 Boxsters and all had dual row bearings.
Back to the original question... I suggest the MY 2000 as you get the dual row bearing (normally) and the 2.7L engine. Beyond that it is a question of whether the particular car you are looking at was well taken care of, all other things being equal (mileage, accessories, interior and exterior condition, etc.). Make sure the maintenance is up to date, with receipts if possible. After buying a car I would count on paying at least $500 for little things that have not been done and up to a couple of thousand if major maintenance has to be done in the short term (clutch, top, tires, half shafts, suspension etc). I do all my own work so don't count labour. This not unique to Boxsters, but applies to any used car.
The following 2 users liked this post by elgy:
Bush Pilot (10-06-2022), tcora (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Sweet Spot