Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 seats into a 986 ? will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 03:52 PM
ChampInSD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 718 seats into a 986 ? will it work?

Anyone tried this?
Old 09-25-2022, 10:00 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have seen write ups and YouTube videos showing 987 or 997 seats in a 986, but not 718 seats. I have not tried that upgrade, but I have done other seat swaps. One was in my 2000 Boxster and the other was in my 2005 Mercedes C230. Based on my experience, there are three major considerations when swapping seats: (1) The physical dimensions of the seat; (2) The complexity of the controls; and (3) The interface between the seat and the supplemental restraint system (SRS) in the car.

The Boxster seat upgrade was comparatively simple. I added seat heaters and converted from two-way power to full power seats: Boxster seat upgrade. The seats were the exact same size and as long as I didn't turn the car on with the airbag wiring disconnected, there would not be a problem with the SRS compatibility. The control module for the power seat functions is fairly complicated in a 986, but because the memory and power controls are in a module under the seat it is not too difficult to figure out.

The Mercedes seat upgrade was considerably more complicated and took several months to figure out. (Because I added the memory seat function at a later date, technically speaking the project was not complete for several years.) You can read about my Mercedes seat swap here.

If you are planning to proceed with your seat swap, the first thing to do is measure the seat rails on the 718 seats to see whether they are the same size as the ones in your 986. If they aren't, you will need to plan how to modify the car or the seats to make them compatible. You will want to be sure that you can attach the seats securely to the car so that they won't detach in the event of an accident. You also want to be sure that the new seats aren't too wide or too tall to fit in a 986. I had a bad moment when I installed the C63 seats in my C230 and they initially wouldn't fit. After some maneuvering, they slid into place

If the seats will physically fit, then you need to sort out the controls and the SRS. The controls will be easier if the 718 seats are relatively simple. For example, I expect that a two-way power seat from a 718 (only the backrest is powered) would be a lot simpler than a 14 or 18-way powered seat. If you are planning to install a more complex seat, I recommend that you find out how they are controlled. If it is like my Mercedes, the communication will be over a system like a CAN bus. The Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is the nervous system, enabling communication. The 986 does not use a CAN bus for controlling the seats. If the 718 uses a CAN bus to control the seats, you will have a fairly large learning curve to make all the seat functions work.

With regards to the SRS, I suggest that you proceed with extreme caution. Find out whether the 718 side air bags are in the seats and if they are, be sure you know how to avoid triggering them while you are working on the seats. Having an airbag activate next to your head will spoil your day. I ran into a minor glitch on the C63 seats because the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat was wired differently than the one in my car. This caused the car to disable the SRS system. Fortunately, it was a relatively easy fix.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you are able to make this swap, I would enjoy reading about the details.

Quick Reply: 718 seats into a 986 ? will it work?