Sponsored by:

Boxster 986 Roof Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 05:19 PM
Porcheb
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Boxster 986 Roof Issue

Does anyone know of a way to open the top when the roof gears are engaged? The roof motor IS working.

I worked on aligning the left and right gear assemblies, reconnected the ball joints, etc. Then pushed the auto roof button to close it - it worked fine. But when I tried to open it I heard the dreaded popping sound, I am thinking the boll joints popped. Anyway, the roof will not move when I try to manually open it. so I can re-adjust again. When I continue to push the open bottom I can hear the gears going around, then one click sounds then back to turning until the click sounds again. The roof does not move an inch during this. I have tried to muscle the top open to get the service position but it will not budge.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:16 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 352 Likes on 154 Posts

You have to pop off the ball joints from the the transmission arms OR the top itself and also the ball cups going to the body panel.

This can be done by pushing the seats forward, removing your little wind deflector, reaching over the back, dropping the splash shield and reaching inside with a flat head to pry off the ball cups for both the top and the body panel.

You will have to manually raise the body panel and manually fold the top back.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
The following users liked this post:
Geza (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 07:53 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

I use as very long screw driver and pop off the ball sockets from the clam shell link to the transmission link. This allows the clam shell to be opened fully on its own. Bought the longest screw driver I could find at HD just for this.

Quick Reply: Boxster 986 Roof Issue