Sponsored by:

Help needed with my first Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 08:47 PM
Porsche_pasha
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed with my first Boxster

Hello all, long time reader first time poster. Always get great tips on this forum so I thought I would start here. Ran into a problem with 2000 Boxster S and need some help.

background:
2000 S model
6 speed manual
111,000 miles
IMS and Clutch updated 106K
AOS, Oil filler tube, Chain Tensioners, valve gaskets at 110K with oil/filter service
water pump at 80k
bottle of Techron at last fill up
all service record since new and have owned for about 3 months

When cleaning some residual oil from the old filler tube I found a vaccuum hose that was not connected coming from vacuum reservoir. No CEL so I’m guessing this must have just happened? After researching on this forum found it to be for the change over valve. Proceeded to remove alternator and fix brittle broken tube with silicone tubing and connectors. Car sounded great and no CEL. Drove car down to the store and after ten mins as I was at a traffic light I hit the gas and I see a wall of white smoke behind me as I cruise down the expressway! Car stumbled a bit but didn’t turn off pulled over and recovered but still slight smoke coming from tailpipe. Checked coolant and no change in level or leaks. Temp pinned at 12 o’clock on the gauge. Since I was about a mile from my house I drove slowly and got to my garage. Checked over everything, no Mayo under oil cap, no milkshake on dipstick. Thought that it might be residual gunk from vacuum hose being disconnected started the car up and still big smoking and then thins out but can still see it. Turned off car and waited till morning did a cold start still smoking and then thins out. Car doesn’t sound bad, but revs around 900 when cold and before would this nightmare it would rev at 1000 rpm before settling at 690-700 rpm. Thinking that I might have hooked up something incorrectly or knocked something loose I go to pull the three way valve coming from the vac reservoir and the nipple breaks off in my hand

This is where I need your help! The car has never smoked more than a tiny wisp on cold starts after sitting for a few days and would quickly dissipate. Passed smog with flying colors in April.

-could the wall of smoke be due to the vac issue? Or did I just blow a head gasket or do some major internal damage?
-can I drive the car without the vac reservoir attached? should I plug the tube that broke off from the vac reservoir or just let it suck air? Or just be safe and have it towed?
-since my DIY skills stop at intake manifold removal I am thinking about sending it to the shop and having the SAI looked at (vac reservoir, changeover valve and all new tubing and anything else while they see while they have the intake manifold off) not sure if I can get to Vac reservoir from alternator angle and not damage more items!

Any help or guidance is appreciated, many thanks!

Old 08-28-2022, 10:47 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,689 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_pasha
Hello all, long time reader first time poster. Always get great tips on this forum so I thought I would start here. Ran into a problem with 2000 Boxster S and need some help.

background:
2000 S model
6 speed manual
111,000 miles
IMS and Clutch updated 106K
AOS, Oil filler tube, Chain Tensioners, valve gaskets at 110K with oil/filter service
water pump at 80k
bottle of Techron at last fill up
all service record since new and have owned for about 3 months

When cleaning some residual oil from the old filler tube I found a vaccuum hose that was not connected coming from vacuum reservoir. No CEL so I’m guessing this must have just happened? After researching on this forum found it to be for the change over valve. Proceeded to remove alternator and fix brittle broken tube with silicone tubing and connectors. Car sounded great and no CEL. Drove car down to the store and after ten mins as I was at a traffic light I hit the gas and I see a wall of white smoke behind me as I cruise down the expressway! Car stumbled a bit but didn’t turn off pulled over and recovered but still slight smoke coming from tailpipe. Checked coolant and no change in level or leaks. Temp pinned at 12 o’clock on the gauge. Since I was about a mile from my house I drove slowly and got to my garage. Checked over everything, no Mayo under oil cap, no milkshake on dipstick. Thought that it might be residual gunk from vacuum hose being disconnected started the car up and still big smoking and then thins out but can still see it. Turned off car and waited till morning did a cold start still smoking and then thins out. Car doesn’t sound bad, but revs around 900 when cold and before would this nightmare it would rev at 1000 rpm before settling at 690-700 rpm. Thinking that I might have hooked up something incorrectly or knocked something loose I go to pull the three way valve coming from the vac reservoir and the nipple breaks off in my hand

This is where I need your help! The car has never smoked more than a tiny wisp on cold starts after sitting for a few days and would quickly dissipate. Passed smog with flying colors in April.

-could the wall of smoke be due to the vac issue? Or did I just blow a head gasket or do some major internal damage?
-can I drive the car without the vac reservoir attached? should I plug the tube that broke off from the vac reservoir or just let it suck air? Or just be safe and have it towed?
-since my DIY skills stop at intake manifold removal I am thinking about sending it to the shop and having the SAI looked at (vac reservoir, changeover valve and all new tubing and anything else while they see while they have the intake manifold off) not sure if I can get to Vac reservoir from alternator angle and not damage more items!

Any help or guidance is appreciated, many thanks!

Personally, the plume of smoke is more than likely coming from a failing AOS. You can rule that out with a manometer. You need to be about 5 inch of water column.

Now, I would repair the vacuum line asap. See image... which line is broken? And last, I wouldn't drive it until this is resolved. If you're pulling in oil, it could lead to hydrolock. Bad bad.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 08-28-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:29 AM
Porsche_pasha
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Personally, the plume of smoke is more than likely coming from a failing AOS. You can rule that out with a manometer. You need to be about 5 inch of water column.

Now, I would repair the vacuum line asap. See image... which line is broken? And last, I wouldn't drive it until this is resolved. If you're pulling in oil, it could lead to hydrolock. Bad bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wvbLbZRXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t95lNYp2plc
thank you for the picture! Currently my vacuum reservoir tank labeled F in your diagram is not connected to anything as the inlet broke off in my hand. Everything else is pretty much connected as shown in your diagram.

as far as the AOS goes, I just replaced it about 300 miles ago with a genuine Porsche AOS and all hoses and clamps as well. I’m not sure if the shop got a bad AOS but I definitely don’t want to risk it. I think I’ll have to ask the shop to fix the vacuum reservoir first and any brittle lines and valves. Once this is done I’ll have them do a compression check on the cylinders to rule out any head gasket issues. After that I’ll have them check the AOS. If the AOS comes back bad it’s under warranty and should be covered. I can’t think of anything else that would cause that kind of plume?

I just can’t believe my car went from running beautifully to having so many issues in just a couple of days!
Old 08-29-2022, 09:21 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,689 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_pasha
I just can’t believe my car went from running beautifully to having so many issues in just a couple of days!
Yep, that's the life of a Porsche owner - that is, everything is perfect until it's not, then all hell breaks loose.

I wish you the best with getting it bad running normal.

Quick Reply: Help needed with my first Boxster