Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

97 Boxster: Lets talk dash speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022 | 01:12 PM
eurothunder
Intermediate

Question 97 Boxster: Lets talk dash speakers

Hi fellow DIY and Porsche enthusiasts,

Opening a new thread to discuss dash speakers and everything in between, considering I fully believe the audio in Boxster can be highly improved.

I will share my case, and Im hoping anyone can chime in to share and discuss horror and success stories:

I got a 97 Boxster, gorfeous color, grey and red interior. Aftermarket radio, 2 amps, and something I still dont know what it is but looks hitech and cool (More on thats soon). The car was a base Boxster with no door speakers, but were installed after. The head unit was an early 00's Alpine (That one that had red and blue illuminated buttons). I didnt play music on it, and I went straight to a double din unit install upgrade. When I was tinkering with the whole thing, I realized the previous owner instead of adding a harness to the Boxster audio system, he/she went straight the savage route and cut all the wires. Ok, fantastic, so I had to take the car to an audio shop for a final install job. All good there, unit installed.

Cable party. Before.

And the after. Please dont even look at that hole I made on the dummy button, I replaced it and now everything looks good.

Ok, so now that I have a good unit (This ATOTO unit is prett bad *** to be honest), I decided to investigate why my speakers sound so poorly. So I removed the dash speakers and this is the type of install I found:

GLUE GLUE GLUE everywhere

So this is the end of Part 1 of "Lets talk dash speakers". I ordered new speakers but HOW IN HELL DO I SAVE THE DASH COVERS? Do I need new ones? Can I save this mess? How do I find whoever did this terrible job? Where is Liam Neeson when I need him?

Old 08-24-2022 | 09:59 AM
Starter986
Pro

Originally Posted by eurothunder
Hi fellow DIY and Porsche enthusiasts,

Opening a new thread to discuss dash speakers and everything in between, considering I fully believe the audio in Boxster can be highly improved.

I will share my case, and Im hoping anyone can chime in to share and discuss horror and success stories:

I got a 97 Boxster, gorfeous color, grey and red interior. Aftermarket radio, 2 amps, and something I still dont know what it is but looks hitech and cool (More on thats soon). The car was a base Boxster with no door speakers, but were installed after. The head unit was an early 00's Alpine (That one that had red and blue illuminated buttons). I didnt play music on it, and I went straight to a double din unit install upgrade. When I was tinkering with the whole thing, I realized the previous owner instead of adding a harness to the Boxster audio system, he/she went straight the savage route and cut all the wires. Ok, fantastic, so I had to take the car to an audio shop for a final install job. All good there, unit installed.

Cable party. Before.

And the after. Please dont even look at that hole I made on the dummy button, I replaced it and now everything looks good.

Ok, so now that I have a good unit (This ATOTO unit is prett bad *** to be honest), I decided to investigate why my speakers sound so poorly. So I removed the dash speakers and this is the type of install I found:

GLUE GLUE GLUE everywhere

So this is the end of Part 1 of "Lets talk dash speakers". I ordered new speakers but HOW IN HELL DO I SAVE THE DASH COVERS? Do I need new ones? Can I save this mess? How do I find whoever did this terrible job? Where is Liam Neeson when I need him?
With all due respect... you need to do some more searching on this topic, and don't be afraid to check another 986forum (hint). It's been covered so many times you'll find all your answers on another forum. In a nutshell... it's not rocket surgery... you'll find the adapters available (and quite inexpensive) from members ON ANOTHER FORUM. Yeah.
Old 08-25-2022 | 12:59 PM
eurothunder
Intermediate

I just wanted to contribute man....

:-(

Yeah I found adapters, got Infinity Kappa speakers, and about to do all the work (Using alcohol in spray will loosen up the hot glue).
I panicked when I pulled this thing off to be honest.

Ok, now Im sad.
Old 08-26-2022 | 07:45 AM
Starter986
Pro

Originally Posted by eurothunder
I just wanted to contribute man....

:-(

Yeah I found adapters, got Infinity Kappa speakers, and about to do all the work (Using alcohol in spray will loosen up the hot glue).
I panicked when I pulled this thing off to be honest.

Ok, now Im sad.
You'll get it ironed out. Just be patient, you're in no hurry.

Whoever owned the car before me replaced the speakers with some Apine something or others... sound great. They didn't use the original speaker cocervs instead using the Alpine covers. Look kind of clunky, but fit nicely. Take your time, you'll get it.

Best wishes.

Quick Reply: 97 Boxster: Lets talk dash speakers