Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for used 986 Boxster.. questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 05:36 PM
dds_lcs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for used 986 Boxster.. questions!

Hello everyone, potential owner of the classic 986 boxster. Looking for a fun car over the weekend.

I've been researching online a lot, and it seems the general consensus is getting a car with a great paper trail of service history.

but why is it DAMN hard to find one that has a complete history (in Craiglist, Facebook etc.) around 10-12k?

Examples I found are:

1. No history, but the car is owned by a mechanic and he claims IMS, RMS, clutch, etc was replaced by himself. Just photos of the job.

2. Sporadical receipts of the service jobs (this is the most cases I found)

2. History only starting from the current owner

3. Full history but the car has been driven only 5k mile in the past 7 years...

I'll keep looking until I find the ONE but want to know if everyone's experience was similar. On the other hand, maybe I need to increase the budget... Thanks.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:58 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Because they are selling for well more than they were several years ago.

Because you are looking during top down season.

Because you are looking for a great car and most cars aren't.

Because Porsches in particular and roadsters in general are often cars for a specific period in one's life and many are multi owner cars by now especially in the 986 model.

(I was the first, second and third owner of my Porsches. At least third owner of my Alfas. While I gave my last buyer a box full of receipts from new as well as other diagnostic materials and tools, none of my other sales got that. It cost me $3k to get my last Boxster in shape for me to want to drive it (In 2012 prices. Complete service, belt, hoses, complete brakes, new tires. In needed nothing beyond fluids in the next 5 years besides a new set of tires just before I sold it. It sold in 3 hours and I could have sold a dozen that first day.)

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:09 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Because they are selling for well more than they were several years ago.

Because you are looking during top down season.

Because you are looking for a great car and most cars aren't.

Because Porsches in particular and roadsters in general are often cars for a specific period in one's life and many are multi owner cars by now especially in the 986 model.

(I was the first, second and third owner of my Porsches. At least third owner of my Alfas. While I gave my last buyer a box full of receipts from new as well as other diagnostic materials and tools, none of my other sales got that. It cost me $3k to get my last Boxster in shape for me to want to drive it (In 2012 prices. Complete service, belt, hoses, complete brakes, new tires. In needed nothing beyond fluids in the next 5 years besides a new set of tires just before I sold it. It sold in 3 hours and I could have sold a dozen that first day.)

Good luck.
What he said. If you were to buy mine (no, it isn’t for sale), you would have complete records from Nov 2006 onward. But the first 4 years and 20k miles? Nothing. And this was a car I bought from a Porsche dealer (turn in from a lease).

It’s The Way It Is.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:34 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by dds_lcs
Hello everyone, potential owner of the classic 986 boxster. Looking for a fun car over the weekend.

I've been researching online a lot, and it seems the general consensus is getting a car with a great paper trail of service history.

but why is it DAMN hard to find one that has a complete history (in Craiglist, Facebook etc.) around 10-12k?

Examples I found are:

1. No history, but the car is owned by a mechanic and he claims IMS, RMS, clutch, etc was replaced by himself. Just photos of the job.

2. Sporadical receipts of the service jobs (this is the most cases I found)

2. History only starting from the current owner

3. Full history but the car has been driven only 5k mile in the past 7 years...

I'll keep looking until I find the ONE but want to know if everyone's experience was similar. On the other hand, maybe I need to increase the budget... Thanks.
IMHO, you need to adjust upward your budget. There isn’t much of anything more expensive than a cheap Porsche. $10-12k in this market is only gonna buy high mile deferred maintenance junk. Near $20k budget, will get you a far better example. If you have a specific color combo, or must have interior(as I did)…then the options narrow even further.

Set a realistic budget, then have $2-3k in the pipeline for anything that comes along.

I am in the process of spending $5k +/- over what I wanted that price ceiling to be. That being said, I stumbled onto a top 1% car I believe.

Lots of reasonably good cars in the marketplace for $18-20k. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: Looking for used 986 Boxster.. questions!