Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Frame Removal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 06:36 PM
Mike Dealy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Frame Removal Issue

I got my 2001 Boxster S going again after a two year sit. The engine is purring and I began to complete removal of the convertible top. It was almost completely disconnected when I opened the frame by releasing the main pull down latch button. The connecting cables that pull the top up and down were disconnected and I was a able to pull the top back to get a look to make sure all connections were loosened. I couldn't get the frame to slide back so it could be lifted out. It was getting late so I decided to call it a day. Both the hood and trunk lids were unlatched. The doors were closed and I tried to start the engine. No response- not even a click. the only new thing I had done was to open the top manually. Could that somehow caused a break in the sensor line connected to the top latch causing it to break continuity to the ignition system?

Last edited by Mike Dealy; 05-20-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:19 PM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Dealy
I got my 2001 Boxster S going again after a two year sit. The engine is purring and I began to complete removal of the convertible top. It was almost completely disconnected when I opened the frame by releasing the main pull down latch button. The connecting cables that pull the top up and down were disconnected and I was a able to pull the top back to get a look to make sure all connections were loosened. I couldn't get the frame to slide back so it could be lifted out. It was getting late so I decided to call it a day. Both the hood and trunk lids were unlatched. The doors were closed and I tried to start the engine. No response- not even a click. the only new thing I had done was to open the top manually. Could that somehow caused a break in the sensor line connected to the top latch causing it to break continuity to the ignition system?
You need to go get a new battery. Then you can start troubleshooting.

May be the alternator. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Starter986; 05-20-2022 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Semantics
Old 05-20-2022, 07:49 PM
Rennen-Affe
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, saw you other post where the battery "went to 2" and was "recharged", 2v or down 2v, either way, not a good condition for a battery, probably toast. You could hook up the charger again and go off that, but it probably won't give a lot of amps to drive many motors, nor hold a charge. Again, I think yours has been sitting for quite a while based on the startup thread.

Best of luck!
Old 05-21-2022, 12:02 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

the top has nothing to do with starting the car. You either drained your battery or it's bad. Get a new one and then you can start the car.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Frame Removal Issue