Boxter cut out, sound and smell rear wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 03:46 PM
Firehorse
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boxter cut out, sound and smell rear wheel wells

Hi All,
I'm totally frustrated and hope someone on here has ever heard of this: my 2006 Boxter was driven two miles, rested an hour and then started again. Within 5 seconds the ignition cut out and the car didn't restart BUT there was a smell coming from the rear wheel wells something in between plastic/electrical- ish AND it sounded like r part of the motor was, making a loud air blowing/whirling sound This went on for 20 minutes. I thought I was killing the car and nothing worked other than the lights on the HOME position and a few interior dash lights. Suddenly it stopped whirling noise. Then, the car started just after the sound went away. Some residual smell. The car is not a manual. Is this a possible sensor/relay issue? How can part of the motor be running and the car shut off? I'm at a loss. Do the key fobs get weird if they are accidentally pushed while turning on the ignition? Or could this be a starter thing....I have an appointment in two weeks! Just not sure if anyone has ever heard of this and I'm worried to drive it anywhere.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:17 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Might want to post over on the 987 section since that is what you have vs a 986.

dont even know what the home position is on a car
Old 05-10-2022, 10:24 AM
Rennen-Affe
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a fragged starter. They smell like hell when they fry.

Quick Reply: Boxter cut out, sound and smell rear wheel wells