Sponsored by:

Hardtop question from a new 986 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:54 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop question from a new 986 owner

I recently purchased my car with the hardtop installed and was planning to remove it in the next few weeks to enjoy the top down but I am being told there is a tool needed to remove it? If so, anyone have any pictures of what this tool looks like? I dont recall seeing any such tool anywhere in the car even though the car came very complete with all books, headlight tool, etc.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:15 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

No tools are required to remove the hardtop.

There should be a plastic cover in the middle of the windshield header. If you remove that cover, you will see a lever that you pull to disengage a latch. Then, look behind the seats close to the place where the seat belts disappear behind some trim. You should see a red handle on each side. Rotate those forward to disengage the spinlocks that attach the hardtop to the sides of the car.

I recommend that you ask someone to help you remove the hardtop. The top only weighs about 40 pounds but it is bulky and there is a risk of scratching the paint with the protruding spin locks.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:21 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 986Santiago
I recently purchased my car with the hardtop installed and was planning to remove it in the next few weeks to enjoy the top down but I am being told there is a tool needed to remove it? If so, anyone have any pictures of what this tool looks like? I dont recall seeing any such tool anywhere in the car even though the car came very complete with all books, headlight tool, etc.
There are no special tools needed to remove the hardtop.

The hardtop is fastened in three locations. Above the front windscreen where you normally open the cabriolet roof and on each side behind the seats. Disconnect it there. You can’t really miss it.

There is also the cable to the rear window defroster. It’s on the drivers side. Disconnect it from the hardtop and connect it to the cabriolet instead if you want to defroster to function on the rear window.

Quick Reply: Hardtop question from a new 986 owner