Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal temperature while sitting/idling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 04:52 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this normal temperature while sitting/idling?

Drove the car for the first time since I bought it couple weeks ago. Car ran perfect the whole 30 minute drive with the temp gauge being the slightest bit above 180. I then sat in the inspection line for a couple of minutes (only about 60 degrees here today) and noticed it went up to this. It did not keep creeping but did scare me a bit and was wondering if I should be concerned.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:09 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

yes
Old 05-05-2022, 12:16 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by stl_986
yes
It is normal, no don't be concerned...
Old 05-05-2022, 07:27 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 986Santiago
Drove the car for the first time since I bought it couple weeks ago. Car ran perfect the whole 30 minute drive with the temp gauge being the slightest bit above 180. I then sat in the inspection line for a couple of minutes (only about 60 degrees here today) and noticed it went up to this. It did not keep creeping but did scare me a bit and was wondering if I should be concerned.
I would not ignore it. This sounds very much as though one, or both, of your cooling fans may not be operating. The resistor packs are a known item of concern.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:58 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Doesn’t look terrible. Ideally around 185F is where you want to be. Check the fans and replace the coolant cap

Last edited by BondJ; 05-05-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:12 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tcora
I would not ignore it. This sounds very much as though one, or both, of your cooling fans may not be operating. The resistor packs are a known item of concern.
Explain yourself. Cooling fan problem? How? What, from his description and the photo, gives you that impression?

The OPs temperature looks standard. That's where mine has been sitting,.. forever.

Waiting...
Old 05-05-2022, 10:59 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

How would you even think the fans are not working. He stated that it stayed at that temp, which indicates the fans are working. Otherwise the temps would have kept going up.

OP - Your temps are fine and normal.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:52 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Starter986
Explain yourself. Cooling fan problem? How? What, from his description and the photo, gives you that impression?

The OPs temperature looks standard. That's where mine has been sitting,.. forever.

Waiting...
Fans are coming on when AC is on so I don't think that is the issue. I don't mind replacing the coolant cap but it looks fine so rather not replace if not needed.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

you're totally fine. 100% normal
Old 05-07-2022, 09:22 AM
tcora
Racer

Originally Posted by 986Santiago
Fans are coming on when AC is on so I don't think that is the issue. I don't mind replacing the coolant cap but it looks fine so rather not replace if not needed.
The A/C will command the cooling fans to run on high, while the cooling system will have the fans run at either low or high speed. At ~206F coolant temp, the fans will kick on at low speed, switching to high at ~216F. If you have blown resistor packs (and they do that), I'd propose that you'll see exactly what you're describing above. FWIW (and it's a data point of one), my 986 temperature does not rise when the car is idling with the engine running - not on an 90F day, certainly not on a 60F day.

It's easy enough to test: simply run the A/C and note the cooling fan speed (both sides), then shut off the A/C and let the car idle until the fans kick in. Should be at a lower speed than when the A/C was on.

The resistor packs are a royal pain in the rear to replace (you'll need to remove the plastic inner fender and the cooling fan). As long as the fans both run on high speed, if one or both of them are bad, it's certainly not a fatal issue.

Last edited by tcora; 05-07-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:25 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

The A/C will command the cooling fans to run on high, while the cooling system will have the fans run at either low or high speed. At ~206F coolant temp, the fans will kick on at low speed, switching to high at ~216F. If you have blown resistor packs (and they do that), I'd propose that you'll see exactly what you're describing above. FWIW (and it's a data point of one), my 986 temperature does not rise when the car is idling with the engine running - not on an 90F day, certainly not on a 60F day.

It's easy enough to test: simply run the A/C and note the cooling fan speed (both sides), then shut off the A/C and let the car idle until the fans kick in. Should be at a lower speed than when the A/C was on.

The resistor packs are a royal pain in the rear to replace (you'll need to remove the plastic inner fender and the cooling fan). As long as the fans both run on high speed, if one or both of them are bad, it's certainly not a fatal issue.
I replaced both my fans. Remove the wheel... shroud... gravy. I recall the resistor (big fatty) sits at the bottom of the fan. Removal of the fan is unecessary. Clip some wires... wire in the replacement... done.

It's been a couple years for me... correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want the OP to be discouraged... if it's a simple job.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:40 AM
tcora
Racer

Originally Posted by Starter986
I replaced both my fans. Remove the wheel... shroud... gravy. I recall the resistor (big fatty) sits at the bottom of the fan. Removal of the fan is unecessary. Clip some wires... wire in the replacement... done.

It's been a couple years for me... correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want the OP to be discouraged... if it's a simple job.
it’s been a couple of years as well, and I don’t recall specifically what made it more of a pain than I thought it was going to be - and I just did the resistor(s?).

Quick Reply: Is this normal temperature while sitting/idling?