Sponsored by:

Help!! Alternator Voltage regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 11:29 PM
CATMANUNO
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!! Alternator Voltage regulator question

I have a 2000 Boxster S. I just had to remove the alternator to repair bank 1 knock sensor.

It was a real pain to remove and reinstall but I did it.

Issue I have now is that the alternator does not charge.

Only thing I can think of is that I removed a screw from the left side of the regulator by accident and the head and part of the thread broke off. There was a washer also. I figured it would not matter and put it back together.

I am now wondering if there was some sort of current that went through that screw or a grounding that took place via that screw. I have attached a photo of the screw that was broken for reference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anthony

Old 04-22-2022, 12:01 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

think it's more likely when you reinstalled you didn't connect the wire & connector completely.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:04 AM
CATMANUNO
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@stl_986 Can you see the back of the alternator and access the plug from the top when you remove the top engine cover or will I have to remove the alternator to see via behind the seats engine cover ?
Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

when looking at it from the seats all you will see is the pully (front of alternator). You could get to the back depending on how big your hands are.

1st time taking it out should take about an hour...2nd time in half that. You dont need to take the seats out, just the cover, remove the belt & remove the 2 bolts. Pull it forward some and make sure everything is connected, then slide it back. I have only replaced an alternator twice on these cars and the last time I had the old out & new one installed in under an hour. Other then having to take the cover off it's a pretty easy job vs other cars I have done it on.

Sorry...read your 1st line incorrectly. with the top engine cover off you could possible get to it, but you should be able to see at least with a good light. Not sure about reconnecting & tightening things down though.

Last edited by stl_986; 04-22-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Help!! Alternator Voltage regulator question