Sponsored by:

Clutch kit and IMS reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 10:39 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch kit and IMS reccomendations

Hi all, first time owner here and just bought a 99’ base 5 speed with 64k miles and original clutch and IMS (no issues)Looking to do the IMS and clutch later this year as I will always worry about it although the failiure rate for 99’ I read is 1% or so. Can anyone provide a link to the best yet least expensive clutch/flywheel kit and IMS solution?
Old 04-19-2022, 11:24 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Why are you doing either/both? Is the current clutch slipping or needing replaced?

Sachs clutch kit is pretty standard and can be bought anywhere.

For your car I would actually be on the fence for doing the IMS but would only do it as a preventive measure IF I was replacing the clutch. I would only replace the clutch though if it needed to be replaced and not as a preventive measure or cause of age/miles. Basically, I wouldn't do the clutch unless it ahd to be done and only then would I do the IMS.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:47 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stl_986
Why are you doing either/both? Is the current clutch slipping or needing replaced?

Sachs clutch kit is pretty standard and can be bought anywhere.

For your car I would actually be on the fence for doing the IMS but would only do it as a preventive measure IF I was replacing the clutch. I would only replace the clutch though if it needed to be replaced and not as a preventive measure or cause of age/miles. Basically, I wouldn't do the clutch unless it ahd to be done and only then would I do the IMS.

Honestly that’s my dilemma, I bought the car for only $7000 with 64k miles and the previous owner was an older woman and then older man which I know didn’t abuse the car which also worries me since it’s not a car that was used often as indicated by being a 1999 with only 64k miles. Oil analysis showed no findings which is good. Clutch is hard to push but 0 slip yet. More interested in doing IMS than clutch but might as well do both while there. Problem is with labor and parts I’m looking at having to drop close to 4k all in which is more than half of what I paid for the car..
Old 04-20-2022, 04:59 AM
howdy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was quoted over $6k to do my clutch and IMS by a local Indy Shop. Just bought my own parts and more and did everything myself for around $2k. The Sachs clutch kit and flywheel were both priced at less than $400 each at Rockauto. Plus use the 5% discount code. About the cheapest place I found for those two items.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:08 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 986Santiago
Hi all, first time owner here and just bought a 99’ base 5 speed with 64k miles and original clutch and IMS (no issues)Looking to do the IMS and clutch later this year as I will always worry about it although the failiure rate for 99’ I read is 1% or so. Can anyone provide a link to the best yet least expensive clutch/flywheel kit and IMS solution?
My recommendation is to just drive the car. When I bought my 98 I had my panties all up in a bunch with worries about the IMS. Do some reading, on these pages and other forums, about the IMS. You'll soon cool down and the IMS may become less of a worry. STL-986 is on this, and another forum I frequent... and you might take his advice.

Just drive the car... and do lots of reading. If you have a question... use the SEARCH function. Having to discuss/debate inquiries about the IMS... clutch... best oil... etc. is a pain in the *** when the answers can be found using the search feature. The answers are there... you have to look.

In conclusion, I gave up on worrying about the IMS. You were spot on: The repair can be close to equal the purchase price. Pffffffft. Get in. Drive. Do maintenance. Fix **** when it breaks.

Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
ER17 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:06 AM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by howdy
I was quoted over $6k to do my clutch and IMS by a local Indy Shop. Just bought my own parts and more and did everything myself for around $2k. The Sachs clutch kit and flywheel were both priced at less than $400 each at Rockauto. Plus use the 5% discount code. About the cheapest place I found for those two items.
would you be able to provide a link? I see the sachs kit that comes with the clutch and flywheel at $1400+
Old 04-20-2022, 10:35 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Given the age and the mileage, I would just drive and enjoy the car

Truth be told, I regret replacing my IMS bearing. It wasn't necessary and it was money down the drain and the money could have gone to other things like addressing other items.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:22 AM
stl_986
Racer

IF you do the clutch just keep in mind that resurfacing the flywheel is almost impossible since it is a dual mass flywheel. Most shops wont even touch it and just tell you to replace it.

Like others mentioned....just drive it. IF it isn't broke, dont touch it.

Little rant here,but too many people buy these cars, believe the IMS is some big green monster and their car will blow up. The truth is....it wont. Any used car can blow up for any number of reasons. Sure the IMS could go and with it the engine, but the timing chains could snap, the brakes give out or you could get hit by a rouge Kangaroo on the highway or even the combustion engine could get outlawed. What are the chances of any of those happening? If this is your first Porsche get it out on the roads, drive it and enjoy it. Chances are you will sell it before you have any issues wanting something more like a newer Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by stl_986:
bcrdukes (04-20-2022), ER17 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 01:38 PM
ER17
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I got my 99 four years ago with about 50-some thousand miles on it. I'm not stressing the IMS, I just just drive it as it was intended. Not over 3k rpm until warm, then never under 2500 (just cruising in town, as the gearing puts it in an awkward range at 30 mph) and running it hard. I would be more worried about the coolant tank at that age and mileage.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:16 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 230 Posts

OP, have to agree the with guys above. I ran my beautiful old 986S for 12 years/67,000 miles and it didn’t miss a beat. My mate has since put many more miles on it with no problems.
Although it is a service item, the IMS bearing is mostly only an issue if the rear seal fails allowing oil to wash away the grease within the unit. This is unlikely to occur if the seal is kept wet with clean oil. If the seal begins to fail it will leak. If it’s not leaking I’d advise leaving it alone.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:35 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stl_986
IF you do the clutch just keep in mind that resurfacing the flywheel is almost impossible since it is a dual mass flywheel. Most shops wont even touch it and just tell you to replace it.

Like others mentioned....just drive it. IF it isn't broke, dont touch it.

Little rant here,but too many people buy these cars, believe the IMS is some big green monster and their car will blow up. The truth is....it wont. Any used car can blow up for any number of reasons. Sure the IMS could go and with it the engine, but the timing chains could snap, the brakes give out or you could get hit by a rouge Kangaroo on the highway or even the combustion engine could get outlawed. What are the chances of any of those happening? If this is your first Porsche get it out on the roads, drive it and enjoy it. Chances are you will sell it before you have any issues wanting something more like a newer Porsche.
couldn’t agree more! Will likely only do it when clutch starts to slip. What is the average date for that? With 64k miles although driven very lightly by the previous elderly owners I can’t imagine will last much longer
Old 04-20-2022, 09:38 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ER17
I got my 99 four years ago with about 50-some thousand miles on it. I'm not stressing the IMS, I just just drive it as it was intended. Not over 3k rpm until warm, then never under 2500 (just cruising in town, as the gearing puts it in an awkward range at 30 mph) and running it hard. I would be more worried about the coolant tank at that age and mileage.
I did a check of that and so far no leaks or stress marks or cracks. If it goes that’s not something im
worried About replacing the IMS is definitely a scarier thing to go bad. About the RPM, I read that as well, any direct link to lugging the engines at low RPM and engines going bad?
Old 04-20-2022, 09:45 PM
986Santiago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BondJ
OP, have to agree the with guys above. I ran my beautiful old 986S for 12 years/67,000 miles and it didn’t miss a beat. My mate has since put many more miles on it with no problems.
Although it is a service item, the IMS bearing is mostly only an issue if the rear seal fails allowing oil to wash away the grease within the unit. This is unlikely to occur if the seal is kept wet with clean oil. If the seal begins to fail it will leak. If it’s not leaking I’d advise leaving it alone.
So far all this input is making me lean towards not touching it. I did get a quote of $3000 with labor and parts to do IMS, oil change, Clutch and Flywheel by a very reputable Porsche Indy in NJ so might do it next year regardless but won’t stress it now. I will have the car on a lift next week so want to check the RMS now that you said that, do you have a pic of where to look? Not sure where RMS is on these. But I did check the previous owners driveway where it sat most of the time and there was 0 leaks on the driveway.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:38 PM
stl_986
Racer

if the RMS is leaking...you will see it when you get it on the lift. all RMS (for any car) are between the engine & the transmission cases.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:26 PM
howdy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 986Santiago
would you be able to provide a link? I see the sachs kit that comes with the clutch and flywheel at $1400+

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=839&jsn=839

Last edited by howdy; 04-21-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch kit and IMS reccomendations