Sponsored by:

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:23 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes

To those of you who do your own oil changes, do you buy your filter at the dealer or do you use other brands like those sold at pellican parts, tweeks, etc ?

I'm planning to change my oil in a week or two and wondered what the consensus was. I believe the manual says that Porshce filters are good for the 15 to 30 k Mile haul, not that I plan to go that long. (thus filter change every other oil change, unless I read it wrong) I wasn't sure what the non oem brands were rated for.

Also, what's the average price for a filter ? I think the aftermarket ones were under 10 bucks.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
00 guards red 986
Central Ohio
Old 04-25-2004, 08:37 PM
cliang
Instructor

I just bought one from the dealer because I didn't plan ahead. I probably only paid around $10 with a PCA discount. Don't forget a new crush ring for the drain plug also.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

You can get them off e-bay much cheaper,OEM type. The crush washer is a good detail but I would have an extra drain plug handy especially if its the first change, dealer item though. . They are fairly soft. Dont put that filthy oil back in you engine. Five bucks for the filter, not a big deal. I am useing the Mobile One 0-40 because I believe for the majority of my driving, quick oil pressure to all engine parts is more critical. Besides, I dump my oil at 7500, new filter, o-ring and washer so I am not worried about the oil breaking down, specifically the additive package for viscosity stability. Cheap insurance. If your going to have an oil analysis program ongoing then I would say extended intervals might be in order once a base line is established, not before. Maybe if i did 15K a year it would make more sense but I do less than 10K. I just like to error on the side of fanatisism. Just a note, I just jack up one side start the drain, let her down then back up for the button up. Good luck. I love this car.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The filter sold by Porsche is made by Mahle - it even has a Mahle part number on it. I have seen the dealer use the filter in the Mahle box, but of course they do not sell it at the parts dept in the Mahle box.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Mahle by order of Viper Bob ...
Old 04-27-2004, 09:21 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Thanks,
I went ahead and ordered a couple filters, orings, washers, and a spare drain plug from Pellican Parts today. The oil change proceedure seems pretty streigh forward.

BTW, the filters were Porsche OEM and price was 14something.

Tom Stein
Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Son of Mad Dog
Track Day

i tried searching for this but i was wondering, how hard is it to change the oil in a 986? reason i ask is b/c i keep hearing those all too comon horror stories of how hard it is to change the oil and that its impossible w/o a full lift...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not hard to do, even without a lift, BUT I HAVE TO stress please only use porsce/mahl filters, I have seen a rash of cars come in with no oil pressure due to after market oil flilters colasping
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Schnell!
Track Day

Easy.....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...oil_change.htm
Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

there's an even quicker way that I learned from reading one of ToolPant's posts

use a GOOD hydraulic jack on the rear driver side jack point, place a jack stand under the cross-beam for safety, get under and open the drain over a low profile pan, then drop the car, you'll get more oil out that way, come back 20 minutes later and take the filter off the same way

think it took me 30 minutes work to change the oil this way, including filling
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of all the cars I have changed the oil and filter on, the Boxster is the easiest. What is even easier than the Boxster is the 996 because the engine is "backwards."

I change the filter first. After the new filter is in and the cannister screwed on, then I slide the drain pan over and remove the drain plug. Then lower the car untill the engine is just touching the drain pan. This levels the car so all the oil can drain out.

Then jack the car back up and replace the drain plug. Then slide the drain pan out and remove the jack.

I use the jack on the left rear.

For my 60k change I used a made in Korea Wix oil filter.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...9454&hl=filter

Quick Reply: Oil Changes