M96/21 Intermix question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 07:15 PM
RoninFL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M96/21 Intermix question

Hey there,

M96/21 - 02 3.2 Boxster S engine question.

So I bought an engine that had intermix & a Non-Porsche specific mechanic said blown head gasket. I figured cracked head & bought with that expectation.

Latte oil / no oil in coolant according to seller who did an engine swap on the car.

Engine turns fine - no issues

After stripping motor, I performed a leak down test with a basic Harbor Freight tester. 3 tests per cylinder & used a dowel in the spark plug hole to get TDC except on 1 / 4 there i used the Cam Lock tool. Obviously cold, but I can't exactly run the engine normal operating temps. Tested @ 98 PSI since the gauge said DON'T GO OVER 100 and wanted to leave a little wiggle room...

Average results:
- 1 - 7 PSI / 7.2%
- 2 - 2 PSI / 2.1%
- 3 - 3.5 PSI / 3.6%
- 4 - 5.5 PSI / 5.6%
- 5 - 2 PSI / 2.1%
- 6 - 7.7 PSI / 7.9%

Engine oil was drained for shipping, so I did put a squirt down each intake stack & 1/2 quart in filler day before I started hand cranking the motor & doing leakdown test.

So those #s look pretty good to me - all within spec according to some quick Googling.

The oil cooler was removed, so I can't pressure test it for a leak. The AOS / Plenum / Intake had Milky oil.

Am I crazy to think the Intermix was a failed Oil Cooler & the previous owner's mechanic completely misdiagnosed the head gasket when really heads are fine based on leakdown numbers??

Thanks for the help!
Ron
Old 04-03-2022, 08:56 PM
jcbeckman
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The AOS (air-oil separator) is the more likely culprit.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:35 PM
RoninFL
3rd Gear

I figured the AOS was toast given all the milky oil in the AOS tubes.

Forgive my ignorance - new to water-cooled P-cars, but can a failed AOS cause intermix?
Old 04-03-2022, 09:44 PM
jcbeckman
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nah, ignore me, been up too late lately. Thinking of a different issue.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:02 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm thinking oil cooler...if in fact it really did have intermix. It isn't very common for these to blow a headgasket or get a cracked head. It can happen, but it would be the last thing I would think of when doing a diag. Best thing would be to get it back together and get it in a car then flush/fill the fluids. Worse case it is a cracked head and all you have lost is some time & fluid costs. My money though is on oil cooler which would also make me ask why that didn't come with the engine, it usually does but things like AC/Alternator/starter might not. Most dont strip those parts off cause of what it takes to get them off the engine.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:11 PM
ER17
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one I bought which, when filled with coolant, started pushing oil from the rear main seal. Draining the sump first brought several gallons of coolant. I have torn it down, but see no obvious source of the intermix. The oil cooler was new. Any suggestions where to look?
Old 04-03-2022, 10:20 PM
RoninFL
3rd Gear

The Oil cooler was removed by the mechanic when doing the diagnostic. I was also kind of bummed it wasn't on the pallet with the engine.

If the PO is to be believed, the car was running fine & one day while driving he noticed lots of white smoke. Pulled over and had the car towed the mechanic. Mechanic investigated - evidenced by missing oil cooler & spark plugs missing from Cyl 1 & 2. Was told it was Head gasket & PO sold the car rather than spend the $$$. New buyer wanted to put a Honda Turbo motor in the body. I bought the engine.

I've asked for the missing oil cooler & hopefully he will send it so I can try to pressure test.

In the meantime, someone on another board mentioned pressure testing the cooling system. It should hold 20 PSI indefinitely, so I'm going to rent a tester from AutoZone and try to plug up the water lines then pressurize.

Quick Reply: M96/21 Intermix question