Sponsored by:

AOS Replacement? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 05:49 AM
tk83
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AOS Replacement? Need advice

I bought a 00 Boxster base model last year, it has high mileage and had a bad starter and thermostat but was not that expensive and seemed OK otherwise. I bought a new starter and put it in (surprisingly easy) and installed a larger oil cooler from a Boxster S, and while I was working on it I noticed that the hoses for the AOS all had oil/dirt around the connections. I bought a new AOS and attempted to change it but I have not been able to get the middle and lower connections loose.

I see how they come off, but my hands are too big and not very strong and although I have worked on cars quite a bit I still really struggle with the cramped and complex plugs, hoses, etc on cars from the last 20 years or so. I am going to try again to see if I can get it, but I am getting close to having tried as hard as I am ever going to, and I still have no idea how to do it. I have looked at the manual/videos online/the 101 projects book and I see how it's supposed to be done, I just can't actually do it.

At this point I could put it back together now and it would function for now, but I think it will need to be done sooner than later and I won't be able to do it then either, so I am thinking the best choice at this point is probably to put the car back together and sell it, rather than wait until the AOS fails and have the choice of spending ~25% of what I paid for the whole car just for someone to disconnect two hoses, or selling it as a parts car because an $80 part (that I already bought) has failed.

Am I missing anything? It has been sitting in my garage for a few months now and can stay there a while longer with no problem but I would like to make a decision soon whether I am going to fix or sell it.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:50 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm actually in the middle of replacing my AOS as well on my '97. Yes, that hose connection to the middle of the body is difficult to remove and I also have big hands. The connector doesn't have to be squeezed too hard top and bottom, but for me pulling the hose loose was the issue. After about 10 minutes of no success, I rotated the hose ~45 degrees with the locking connector depressed. That seemed to break the connection and the hose slid out easily.

Hope this helps....

I haven't yet tacked the lower bellows clamp but that is the next challenge.
I was able to remove the mounting bolts by standing on the driver's side and reaching over and around w/ a 1/4" drive ratchet. It helps (sometimes) that I'm tall and my arms are long.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:49 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
I'm actually in the middle of replacing my AOS as well on my '97. Yes, that hose connection to the middle of the body is difficult to remove and I also have big hands. The connector doesn't have to be squeezed too hard top and bottom, but for me pulling the hose loose was the issue. After about 10 minutes of no success, I rotated the hose ~45 degrees with the locking connector depressed. That seemed to break the connection and the hose slid out easily.

Hope this helps....

I haven't yet tacked the lower bellows clamp but that is the next challenge.
I was able to remove the mounting bolts by standing on the driver's side and reaching over and around w/ a 1/4" drive ratchet. It helps (sometimes) that I'm tall and my arms are long.
I'm going to assume that lower bellows hose is the rubber one. If affirmative...

You don't have to get fancy schmancy getting that bellows off. You're going to be replacing it so just cut it in half and get that AOS out. The old AOS doesn't have to look pretty... or be in one piece. Just get it out of there.

Also... if you're installing the updated part you better plan on purchasing a new upper AOS hose (the hard plastic one).
Old 01-15-2022, 06:07 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Starter986
I'm going to assume that lower bellows hose is the rubber one. If affirmative...

You don't have to get fancy schmancy getting that bellows off. You're going to be replacing it so just cut it in half and get that AOS out. The old AOS doesn't have to look pretty... or be in one piece. Just get it out of there.

Also... if you're installing the updated part you better plan on purchasing a new upper AOS hose (the hard plastic one).
Interestingly, I found it easier to get a 1/4" drive socket w/ long extension onto the lower bellows hose clamp and loosen than it was to get a pair of cutters in there.
Getting that hose clamp back on and tightened took a bit more effort.. Just finished this morning...
Old 03-29-2022, 07:54 PM
boxmeupscotty
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrong post

Last edited by boxmeupscotty; 03-30-2022 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Wrong Post
Old 03-30-2022, 10:17 AM
ER17
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You had a hose clamp on there and not a spring clamp? They are far easier to work with and new ones come with a plastic piece allowing you to put it in place, then just pop it off, leaving the clamp right where you want it.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:09 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Starter986
Is this the newer breather hose you're referring to? Or is there a 987 hose that is better/longer?

Old 04-17-2022, 09:11 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
Is this the newer breather hose you're referring to? Or is there a 987 hose that is better/longer?

I'm running a 98. My hose looks smoother, absent the accordian look. The AOS I used was the updated model... so it necessitated a newer hose. You may/may not need a new hose... for you've an 00.

That is the hose that connects to the top of the AOS, correct? Looks odd to me.

Quick Reply: AOS Replacement? Need advice