Old 09-12-2021, 05:41 PM
dave1234
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my folding roof

Hi Gents
I have a 2008 Boxster 987 S auto.
​​​​​​Hi Gents
Last week the roof wouldnt go down every time i flicked the switch. I would have to open and close the latch a few times and then all worked fine. I took advice and ordered a new micro switch that will be here this week.
Whilst lowering the roof a few days ago I heard a loud bang and everything stopped moving (the roof mechanism). I discovered both white plastic ball and socket joints on the arms had snapped, apparently a common fault. Unfortunately one of the arms sprung up and somehow wedged itself between the rear hatch and the soft top. After some manoeuvring I managed to free it and get both arms off. Greased everything up and installed new white plastic caps for the ball and sockets. All well so far. Turned car on, flicked switch and absolutely nothing, no sound of the rear mechanism working at all, and also the windows didnt jump down the few inches that they usually do when i undo the roof latch. I checked every fuse and found one blown, a small 1.5 blue fuse, this belonged to the cigarette lighter that now works fine. Not sure if it was blown before as never used it. Everything else appears as new. Took out the green fuse 30 that according to manual is the fuse for the convertible roof . Again nothing happened. Replaced the fuse with a new fuse. Checked the 30 fuse terminal and it has electricity going to one side as it illuminated the test lamp. The sign on the car computer says " Convertible top not in limit position". The yellow engine management light is also on.
I took both arms off each side of the roof mechanism as per the manual for emergency closing. Was easily able to close the roof manually and open and shut the rear lid. Greased everything up. Do you guys think a replacement micro switch will be the problem or is there something else I can try before going to the dealer. Could I have snapped a hidden wire somewhere etc when the roof got jammed? I spent hours on the car today but cant find the problem.
Many regards.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:54 PM
skucera
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last week I had a similar BANG and my top stopped in the half-down position after lunch. Luckily, I could get it back to the closed position for the drive home, but the clamshell was half up the whole way. After work, I disconnected the linkages so I could fold the clamshell. On closer examination, I have the two transmissions misaligned now, and the clamshell itself is tweaked so one side is ½" proud of the rear deck while the other side sits flush.

So, after I clear another project out of the garage I'll take the two transmissions apart to see if I broke or stripped some gear teeth, and whether I broke either of the cables. I definitely broke one of the plastic rod socket ends. It'll be easier to repair it all in the comfort of my garage over the winter, ready for the sunny moments come springtime in Oregon.

Good luck on your top.

Scott
Old 05-08-2022, 09:55 AM
porker944
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here. Hear the bang, the rod snapped on passenger side. Seems to be a common problem that the linkages seize. Easy to replace, cheap components. Thanks

Quick Reply: Problems with my folding roof