Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster S 2002

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 04:48 PM
acer709
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster S 2002

Hi warm greetings from UK in London am a Newbie my Porsche Boxster S 986 2002 car is feeling very unwell I came back from a great drive with my girlfriend and the car broke down the rear driveshaft came completely removed from the gearbox and the gearbox mount broke at te traffic lights fortunately I was able to coast it back down the hill to my garage in Sidcup after it making an awful noise!
I had changed the axle previously back in 2012
And replaced it with an aftermarket from carpartsdiscount from the States to save a few quid, as an axle in Europe is £670 plus.
I managed to do the job over about a month with my Pa getting hold of a Norbar to torque up the dreaded axle nut 360Nm.
The axle was fine but it went I think because of the damage to the gearbox dropping by its flange mount cracking so am now bit of a larger job.
The gearbox casing needs replacing as I have the manual 6 speed yep my second gear is still ok!
The car is like new only 51k on the clock.
Porsche are going to change the gearbox casing which not bad price at £1400 Inc labour but wondered is it worth changing both driveshafts both sides or just the damaged one and whilst it's out do the job on the IMS Bearing.
I think when the first driveshaft broke it must have hit the gearbox flange and fractured it!
Has anyone else had this problem?
Much help appreciated
Just been looking for second hand gearboxes to make it bit economical but alas no reconditioned ones as they have all the flange broken and harder to get a six speed manual.
Just love this car but golly have been through these axles! 👍
Old 05-12-2021, 09:15 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

A friend who runs a shop says won't use the third party axles for the same reason you have found out. The 6-speed is hard on axles because of the angle. Get an OEM one and repack and reboot it if you have to
Old 05-13-2021, 01:47 AM
acer709
4th Gear

Thanks Mike that's interesting there are not so many manual gearbox over here 2.5 and 2.7 and tiptronic.
I was talking to a race guy who used to race them
and the second gear is bit vulnerable because of power.
I have tried to be easy with the gears and changed the gearbox oil at around 30k miles.
Do you think it's worth changing the other side, (the drivers side) it's a right hand drive.
The first time the driveshaft went it was at the wheel end and was ok at the gearbox.
They say they are vulnerable at 100k miles but with my car it happened at 36k coming back from the South of France 🇫🇷 Troyes to be accurate a friendly sports car shop down there with the owner racing a Metallic Light blue Corvette Stingray you would have liked it!
He stored it and got collected by the AA back across the channel!
I guess you have to learn the lessons for yourself! 👍
Old 05-16-2021, 11:09 PM
argilla11
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the flange mount welded instead of replacing the whole casing. Had it done on mine and its handled plenty abuse.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:59 PM
acer709
4th Gear

Hi,
Thanks for your message.
Is it easy to get it welded with the gearbox in the car or does it need to come out of the car?
Can you recommend someone for the weld work.
Cheers
Old 05-17-2021, 04:24 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

best to find a welder in your area, then see if they are willing to take on the work.

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster S 2002