Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Help identifying these wheels and issues with spacers/brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021 | 08:20 PM
William Casey
6th Gear

Default Help identifying these wheels and issues with spacers/brakes

I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster and have had some interesting issues with the wheels. The wheels are not original to the car but are 18 inch Porsche wheels -- for them to fit one of the previous owners bonded spacers to the wheels with some form of adhesive. After research, I believe the wheels are off a 996 Turbo (I think this is a match), but want to make sure:

The car was desperately in need of an alignment and after 100 miles of driving it, the rear driver's side tire's inner sidewall ripped and I had to change the tire. After putting the donut, I realized that the spare tire didn't even clear the brake calipers and I couldn't drive with it, so it was essentially useless. If the spare didn't fit, assuming it's original, could the brake calipers also not be original? Here is a pic of them as well:

To say the least, there is some weird stuff going on with the wheel fitment and I'm wondering if this setup is problematic. I'm getting new tires and an alignment this week but I'm also trying to figure out if these are red flags. The car handles well but the steering is very stiff. I'm a first time Porsche owner and really would appreciate it if someone could let me know what I'm dealing with here. Thank you!

Also here's the current tire fitment if it helps:
front: 225/40R18
rear: 285/30R18
Old 02-23-2021 | 03:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by William Casey
I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster and have had some interesting issues with the wheels. The wheels are not original to the car but are 18 inch Porsche wheels -- for them to fit one of the previous owners bonded spacers to the wheels with some form of adhesive. After research, I believe the wheels are off a 996 Turbo (I think this is a match), but want to make sure:

The car was desperately in need of an alignment and after 100 miles of driving it, the rear driver's side tire's inner sidewall ripped and I had to change the tire. After putting the donut, I realized that the spare tire didn't even clear the brake calipers and I couldn't drive with it, so it was essentially useless. If the spare didn't fit, assuming it's original, could the brake calipers also not be original? Here is a pic of them as well:

To say the least, there is some weird stuff going on with the wheel fitment and I'm wondering if this setup is problematic. I'm getting new tires and an alignment this week but I'm also trying to figure out if these are red flags. The car handles well but the steering is very stiff. I'm a first time Porsche owner and really would appreciate it if someone could let me know what I'm dealing with here. Thank you!

Also here's the current tire fitment if it helps:
front: 225/40R18
rear: 285/30R18

996 Turbo rear Wheels are at least 11 inches wide, you don't want them on a 986 & you don't want that big of a tire either It's too tall, it's like you are taking off in 2nd gear.

Old 02-23-2021 | 08:14 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
996 Turbo rear Wheels are at least 11 inches wide, you don't want them on a 986 & you don't want that big of a tire either It's too tall, it's like you are taking off in 2nd gear.
You can look at the numbers on either side of the valve stems and that will help your fellow Rennlisters identity these wheels. If they are indeed off a 996TT the rear will be very wide at 11" but I suspect that they aren't given that the tire size you quote is not the typical tire size for the Turbo model.
The 285/30 you mention is not too tall, it is the same height as the 265/35 that would be used on a 986 Boxster or Boxster S but it is wider. I know that some have used that size but it all comes down to the rim widths and offsets and those will be provided by those numbers beside the valve stems as mentioned.

Quick Reply: Help identifying these wheels and issues with spacers/brakes