Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 Boxster S - No drive and grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 12:59 PM
alebal20
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986 Boxster S - No drive and grinding noise?

Hi there. Have checked online and through the forums but not had any luck. Have also contacted several mechanics but they are either reluctant to work on the car, or want me to pay excessive recovery fees before they will even help.
Car is a 2002 Boxster S 986 Manual (6 Speed)
The car was left for a while over winter (approx 2 months), when i first got in it, it fired straight up but the clutch pedal was sticky, it would go to the floor but only come half way back up, I used my foot to return it all the way. I pumped it a few times and it returned back to normal. [this could be unrelated, but a bit of background info never hurt] (I presumed it was just a little air in the system, had not lost any fluid)
So I pulled off and drove away fine, just down the road, went slowly but made sure all the breaks were good and had no issues before taking on a long drive.
I pulled off again and got to about 10 mph then heard a bang and lost all drive. [Only covered 0.4 miles in total]
Was working fine before, no clutch slip, no unusual noises before it happened.
It still changes gear fine, but when you lift off the clutch, it bites, then there is a grinding noise and the car doesn't move.

Possible issues:
Clutch - But it bites fine and didn't slip at all before.
Release bearing?
Driveshafts - I checked and they are not snapped or broken.
CV joints - But they don't usually just snap do they? They usually make a clicking noise before?
Gearbox - possibly the mainshaft as it still changes gear fine, or the differential?

Has anybody experienced this before? I know these gearboxes are known for 2nd gear issues, but not usually just going completely with no prior warning.
Or any tips on what to check for/ have a look at.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by alebal20
Hi there. Have checked online and through the forums but not had any luck. Have also contacted several mechanics but they are either reluctant to work on the car, or want me to pay excessive recovery fees before they will even help.
Car is a 2002 Boxster S 986 Manual (6 Speed)
The car was left for a while over winter (approx 2 months), when i first got in it, it fired straight up but the clutch pedal was sticky, it would go to the floor but only come half way back up, I used my foot to return it all the way. I pumped it a few times and it returned back to normal. [this could be unrelated, but a bit of background info never hurt] (I presumed it was just a little air in the system, had not lost any fluid)
So I pulled off and drove away fine, just down the road, went slowly but made sure all the breaks were good and had no issues before taking on a long drive.
I pulled off again and got to about 10 mph then heard a bang and lost all drive. [Only covered 0.4 miles in total]
Was working fine before, no clutch slip, no unusual noises before it happened.
It still changes gear fine, but when you lift off the clutch, it bites, then there is a grinding noise and the car doesn't move.

Possible issues:
Clutch - But it bites fine and didn't slip at all before.
Release bearing?
Driveshafts - I checked and they are not snapped or broken.
CV joints - But they don't usually just snap do they? They usually make a clicking noise before?
Gearbox - possibly the mainshaft as it still changes gear fine, or the differential?

Has anybody experienced this before? I know these gearboxes are known for 2nd gear issues, but not usually just going completely with no prior warning.
Or any tips on what to check for/ have a look at.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder has failed or you are leaking fluid somewhere.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:00 PM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Clutch. Same thing happened to me about a month ago. New clutch and replaced the IMS at the same time. $5200 and runs like champ now.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:21 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

Just so we understand, you paid $5200 for a new clutch and IMS? Or was that what you paid for the Boxster?
Old 02-13-2021, 11:15 PM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

For the new clutch and IMS fix.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:05 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Does the clutch still feel normal? A fluid leak would mean (at least) a soft clutch it seems to me... and I can't imagine it making a bang when a slave cylinder fails. Sounds like something in the transaxle to me. If you jack up the rear wheels you can see if turning one wheel turns the other in the opposite direction (if no LSD) and see if the wheels turn or not with the car in gear.

Quick Reply: 986 Boxster S - No drive and grinding noise?