Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Boxster - Got Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 04:38 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by billyjk
Finding something local would be great.
I don't think I've ever bought a car that was local to me. I bought my Cayenne and my first Boxster in Philly, two hours south of me; I bought my second 928 in upstate NY, about three hours north of me; I bought my second Boxster in Oklahoma (I was stationed there for a while, but I bought the car two hours from where I was stationed); and I just picked up my third 928 in Kentucky, about 9 hours away. Other than the last 928 - which I trailered because I needed the Cayenne to carry a bunch of spare parts - I drove them all home, including driving that Oklahoma Boxster to Scranton.

What I'm saying is: From my experience, there's a lot to be said for road tripping your new car back home.
The following users liked this post:
billyjk (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:59 PM
billyjk
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Shawn - I agree. I'd prefer though at this point in time to get something within 100 miles or so - doesn't have to be right here in my 'hood.

Scranton is a cool place. I lived for a while in a little coal mining town not far from there. Depending on the purchase opportunity, I would not be totally against road-tripping it.
-bjk
Old 01-05-2021, 10:47 AM
placer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are never cars available when you are looking to buy. There are always cars available when you are not. Patience is key. I had luck posting a wtb ad on craigslist for a 928 (in the regular autos for sale section). You may get someone who is thinking about selling and is watching the market. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:00 AM
billyjk
Track Day

Thanks Placer. I am planning for this to take a while. No rush here.

I have a WTB ad in CL now, but I need to check were exactly I placed it - might be in a generic "For Sale" category.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:03 PM
rnrouss99
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

You are right that prices are all over the place. But as others have mentioned, with a 20’ish year old car, mileage and condition are also all over the place. I purchased a 2001 Base this past June here in central Florida. It had a good Car Fax showing regular dealer maintenance and the condition and color combo were to my liking. I understand the market is a little different here; we seem to have better supply of Boxster’s than most places.

Previously, I bought an ’01 S in 2013 for $12K and sold it 3 years and 30K miles later for $10K. Now, the prices seem to have bottomed out or even may be creeping up. The lower mileage, prime condition cars are the ones priced in the mid teens. The drivers with good maintenance history and the IMS and other regular issues addressed are a bit cheaper. The well-used and abused cars with deferred maintenance are really cheap ones.

Again, maintenance records and condition are your primary concern in a used car of this vintage. The “S” vs. “Base” debate is a matter of preference. I’ve owned both and they are both very fun. You will pay more for and S, but don’t let a base that has the condition, maintenance records, and color combo you want stop you.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:18 PM
billyjk
Track Day

Thanks for the great advice rnrouss99. Same as you, I don't have strong feelings about Base or S. Thorough maintenance and the records to show it are a top priority, for sure. Prices are definitely variable, but luckily, the 2000 Boxster Base offered to me locally a few weeks ago at $30k appears to be an outlier. After some months of watching the market closely, there is a general pattern that has emerged as you pointed out.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:20 PM
smell_blind
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on the same journey and this thread has been very helpful. Thanks, all!
Song Toh (01-26-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 03:24 PM
losblancos
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

... the 2000 Boxster Base offered to me locally a few weeks ago at $30k...

Wow.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:35 PM
billyjk
Track Day

Originally Posted by smell_blind
I'm on the same journey and this thread has been very helpful. Thanks, all!
Glad to hear someone else is benefitting from this!

Originally Posted by losblancos
Wow.
Yeah - believe it. The justification offered was that it's a "time capsule" condition-wise, and has low miles (40K+). I am sure it's really nice, but from what I've learned about pricing, a really nice 2000 Base is half that - or less.
rnrouss99 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:14 PM
losblancos
Advanced

Yeah - believe it. The justification offered was that it's a "time capsule" condition-wise, and has low miles (40K+). I am sure it's really nice, but from what I've learned about pricing, a really nice 2000 Base is half that - or less.
That’s nuts. I wouldn’t pay more than ~$12k for a car like that, even in this crazy market, and even given that there’s reason to believe that 986s are starting to slowly appreciate. Imagine thinking your 986 is worth as much as a decent 981!

As others have counseled me on here, there is also a potential risk to cars with low mileage.

That said if anyone’s looking for a low-mileage time capsule there are two 1997s near me that supposedly fit the bill. One may or may not have engine issues, though, as I’ve chronicled in another thread.

Last edited by losblancos; 01-05-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:20 AM
losblancos
Advanced

Posting just in case someone's interested in this sort of thing as I know there are several people looking for 986s.

There's a 3.4-swapped '99 with supposedly only about 30k miles listed for $14k. Seller claims over 300 at the wheels! That car must freaking fly.

It's posted on facebook marketplace in the 986/996 buy/sell/trade group.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:11 PM
billyjk
Track Day

Thanks for the post losblancos. I am looking for a more tame, typical example.
But, I can appreciate the cool mods owners do on theirs!
-bjk
Old 01-23-2021, 05:35 PM
billyjk
Track Day

I've been tracking the local market (within 150 miles of my home) and it seems that more Boxsters are getting listed.
Nothing compelling enough for me to reach out to them, except for one for sale by a dealer, who has no history on the vehicle, doesn't know if the IMS, RMS, etc., have been replaced, are asking top dollar and won't consider negotiating on price depending on what's found in a PPI.
Hoping that things change as Spring approaches.
-bjk
Old 01-23-2021, 06:09 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

My daily is a 2000S with 63K miles with everything addressed. It would take way more than 15k to get me to part. I get notes placed on my window with numbers saying they want to buy my car CASH. I don't even bother to call. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:11 AM
billyjk
Track Day

Originally Posted by Runner
My daily is a 2000S with 63K miles with everything addressed. It would take way more than 15k to get me to part. I get notes placed on my window with numbers saying they want to buy my car CASH. I don't even bother to call. Good luck with your search.
Great to hear that you have an excellent, well-loved Boxster.
In my local search, I might go North of that $15k budget for the right car that I can't say no to. Here's hoping something good pops up!

Quick Reply: Looking for a Boxster - Got Questions...