Sponsored by:

Boxster trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster trailer hitch?

Anyone have any experience installing/adapting a trailer hitch to a Boxster?

Our PCA region just purchased a small 5x8 cargo trailer to haul our autocross gear around in -- cones, easy-up tents, brooms, coolers, etc. -- and two of us (perhaps a bit too quickly) volunteered to have hitches installed on our vehicles. We expect the trailer will weigh about 1200 lbs loaded, with a tongue weight around 200 lbs at most. Finding something suitable to fit my SC was easy given the rather hefty bumper, but my friend's Boxster is proving a bit more difficult.

We'd like to find something that either bolts directly onto the bumper pad bracket/assembly, or requires minor modifications to again attach to the bumper pad bracket/assembly. However, someone in our region has offered to do some welding if that's necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the one from EVO motorsports (http://www.evoms.com) and I really like it. It bolts on with just minor drilling behind the bumperettes.

The only caveat is that I don't know if they still make them. I don't see it on their online catalog, but you should call and ask. Oh, it was also a bit pricey ($300)
Old 03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 1200# might be a bit much for a Boxster. I pull a track trailer with maybe 5 - 600# on it. Don't know if I would try to pull much more than that.

I don't know what brand mine is as I bought it used off someone else. However, I can take some pics and send them to you if you want to have someone build one. Just let me know.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I wonder what the tow capacity is of our cars... It's another case of Porsche sticking it to us Boxster owners by not giving us these details.

I know that my hitch is held in via a bolt that goes into the rear tow hook hole of the car. Theoretically, that should be able to withstand the weight of the car. So, I'd guess that the major factor with towing is how much it would damage the engine.

1200 pounds still sounds like a lot. Check the driver's manual - maybe it actually does list the maximum weight allowed.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Seems to me that ...

A Boxster Tiptronic S weighs in at 2,998#. Porsche would have designed the tow hook to withstand towing its heaviest configuration, so the tow hook assembly must be able to withstand towing 2,998#. Therefore, a hitch anchored by the tow hook assembly should be able to tow 2,998#. That's essentially a class 2 hitch, which is rated at 3000# trailer weight and 300# tongue weight.

That's twice what we want to haul.

Last edited by Paul Conquest; 03-19-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 PM
dcolletti
Track Day

I have the same trailer hitch set-up that Brian P has. It worked really well. You can see pictures on my webpage.

http://members.rennlist.com/1porsche/Trailer_Hitch.html

I am willing to sell the hitch for $200 plus shipping if interested.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (08-24-2022)
Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 AM
sietek
Track Day

Dcolletti,

Do you know if they make that (or any) hitch in a receiver style? I want to be able to carry my mountain bikes, and my bike rack is made to fit into a “receiver style hitch” (kinda like a class I, II or III style receiver hitch receiver).

Thanks,
Old 09-02-2019, 12:45 PM
jinsoojjoo
2nd Gear

Default Custom hitch from U-Haul

When I searched for a tow hitch on the U-Haul website, they said that they do not have a hitch available for a 986, but would want to fabricate a custom one for free. I'm assuming they would design and start to manufacture one for the 986 to offer it on the market. The only catch is that you would have to leave the car at their site for 2-3 days in Tempe, AZ while the design and build one. Anyone in the Tempe area that is willing to do this? The following is the message I received from U-Haul...

Old 02-03-2022, 01:11 AM
Just vic
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NetManiac
I think 1200# might be a bit much for a Boxster. I pull a track trailer with maybe 5 - 600# on it. Don't know if I would try to pull much more than that.

I don't know what brand mine is as I bought it used off someone else. However, I can take some pics and send them to you if you want to have someone build one. Just let me know.
have boxster and blu ox tow bar with no attachment for car want to flat tow .can this be done with no damage to boxster ? Where do i find attachment for boxster? How about shield? Any info would be appreciated thank you just vic
Old 02-03-2022, 01:44 AM
Just vic
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jinsoojjoo
When I searched for a tow hitch on the U-Haul website, they said that they do not have a hitch available for a 986, but would want to fabricate a custom one for free. I'm assuming they would design and start to manufacture one for the 986 to offer it on the market. The only catch is that you would have to leave the car at their site for 2-3 days in Tempe, AZ while the design and build one. Anyone in the Tempe area that is willing to do this? The following is the message I received from U-Haul...

i would be interested. In u hauls deal how do i get application?
Old 02-03-2022, 10:11 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Have a look at these videos...

Old 02-12-2022, 08:29 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Not my Boxster but the owner would tow track wheels, gear, chairs, cooler, etc to the local race track or autocross. Very cool set up.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:48 AM
Al Allen
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Conquest
Anyone have any experience installing/adapting a trailer hitch to a Boxster?

Our PCA region just purchased a small 5x8 cargo trailer to haul our autocross gear around in -- cones, easy-up tents, brooms, coolers, etc. -- and two of us (perhaps a bit too quickly) volunteered to have hitches installed on our vehicles. We expect the trailer will weigh about 1200 lbs loaded, with a tongue weight around 200 lbs at most. Finding something suitable to fit my SC was easy given the rather hefty bumper, but my friend's Boxster is proving a bit more difficult.

We'd like to find something that either bolts directly onto the bumper pad bracket/assembly, or requires minor modifications to again attach to the bumper pad bracket/assembly. However, someone in our region has offered to do some welding if that's necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Custom job seen at my local independent Porsche tech.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:26 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I towed many things with many cars that one would consider inadequate but to put a hitch on 986 and tow stuff is not something I personally would do. It's just wrong guys/girls. There's a reason Porsche doesn't provide a tow rating namely; it's not designed to tow anything. I'd trust the Porsche engineers.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:01 PM
jrj3rd
Track Day

Originally Posted by Al Allen

Custom job seen at my local independent Porsche tech.
That looks like the original Willwood Systems design before he went with the hidden design. believe Willwood's are now available from Sporttows.com

Quick Reply: Boxster trailer hitch?