Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my key yesterday. Have a spare, but it won't start my car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 08:57 AM
BCB75
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost my key yesterday. Have a spare, but it won't start my car.

I've gotten the spare to unlock my car, but never start it. Guessing it needs to be reprogrammed. If I can't find my working key, can the spare key be reprogrammed to my car? And if so, do I need it towed to a porsche dealer to get that done? Thank you!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BCB75
I've gotten the spare to unlock my car, but never start it. Guessing it needs to be reprogrammed. If I can't find my working key, can the spare key be reprogrammed to my car? And if so, do I need it towed to a porsche dealer to get that done? Thank you!
Yes it can be re programmed by Dealers,have you installed a new battery in the key?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:38 PM
BCB75
Intermediate

Well, good news, we found the key.
to answer your question though, I've swapped everything between both keys. I can get the "spare" to perform the locking function, but not the starting.. I think this is due to another piece in the key (looks like a glass capsule or something). In guessing the battery and circuit board is just for the keyless transmission, and that other piece is for the ignition communication.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Well, good news, we found the key.
to answer your question though, I've swapped everything between both keys. I can get the "spare" to perform the locking function, but not the starting.. I think this is due to another piece in the key (looks like a glass capsule or something). In guessing the battery and circuit board is just for the keyless transmission, and that other piece is for the ignition communication.
It's that glass capsule that starts your car. Do some reading. It's quicker than waiting.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 PM
BCB75
Intermediate

Um, yeah... that's what I said. I was trying to tell the other poster.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM
Starter986
Pro

Um, yeah... that's what I said. I was trying to tell the other poster.
Or just keep guessing.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:17 AM
BCB75
Intermediate

SO helpful, thank you so much.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Starter986
Pro

SO helpful, thank you so much.
I'm sorry. I was just teasing.

I'm suspecting a dealer visit is in order. That means a tow... and the registered owner must bring the registration and a legal form of identification.

If there's something wrong with the pill... or, maybe this is a stretch, by virtue of some electrical gremiln, the pill became disassociatd with the DME, or whatever unit. So... a "handshake" isn't registering. Porsche will effect that handshake.

However... I'm thinking they need the multi-digit serial number assigned to the pill... so it may be programmed into the Porsche network. Absent that number... I don't know if they can over-ride that security feature. You may have to source a new key... a new pill with serial number... and bring it, the car, the registered owner (You), the current registration... and the ID... and part with ~$350-$400 for the service.

I hope you find a solution. It's frustrating when the car won't even turn over. Keep diagnosing. Best wishes.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:06 PM
BCB75
Intermediate

Like I said earlier, we were able to find the key. All is good for now, but I would like to have a spare. That way I won't need a tow, etc, if I lose the key for real.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Starter986
Pro

Like I said earlier, we were able to find the key. All is good for now, but I would like to have a spare. That way I won't need a tow, etc, if I lose the key for real.
Likewise positioned. One key. Been watching it like a hawk for three years. I've two choices: Take the car to the dealer and have a key programmed... out thre door, ~$450-$500. The alternative is to REALLY misplace/lose the key then having to pay for a two on top of the new key expense. My nearest P dealer is 35 miles away.

You could always go the get an extra key made... bury the pill bechine the ignition switch. A no-no in certain circles... but I don;t know your level of risk.

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Call around. I found a local locksmith (mainly car keys) that is able to duplicate the key to mechanically unlock (no push buttons) the car and start it. Had to explain the age of the car (once they heard Porsche on the phone they said No... but once they heard it was a 99 Porsche, they said bring it down)...... Took about 15 minutes and $80.

FYI

-Eric
99 986
09 Cayman S

Quick Reply: Lost my key yesterday. Have a spare, but it won't start my car.