Sponsored by:

Timing when pulling cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:44 AM
E_rock_89
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing when pulling cams

Quick question on pulling cam shafts and correct timing. I understand from my research that the valve covers hold the cams in place and that it is important to set correct timing and use appropriate cam lock tools when removing the covers. Do you need to set timing twice to remove the covers/cams? Ie for CYL Bank 1-3 do you set TDC CYL1 and pull cover/cams then for CYL Bank 4-6 set TDC CYL4 and repeat or do you only set timing once for both sides? I've read that the cams may crack if exposed to too much spring pressure and definitely don't want to add those to my project tab. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2020, 02:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,040 Posts

No, you have special tools to lock the cams and a bridge that takes the place of the cam cover when setting timing.

You should consider purchasing Jake Raby's Focus On: M9X Engine Assembly series. In it, he explains step-by-step how to time 3-chain or 5-chain engines.

https://www.theknowledgegruppe.com/p...ideos-bundles/
Old 09-02-2020, 03:04 PM
E_rock_89
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick response, I will definitely consider investing in the detailed tutorials. I guess my question is only for removal of cam covers at this time. Obviously the exterior cam lock tools will be in place but what I'm concerned with is the force on the center of the cam if the crank isn't in the correct position. Or does this not matter on removal of valve cover? Do I need to be TDC CYL1 for bank 1-3 and then TDC CYL4 for bank 4-6 when removing cam covers or just leave it at TDC CYL1 for both sides?

Last edited by E_rock_89; 09-02-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:03 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by E_rock_89
what I'm concerned with is the force on the center of the cam if the crank isn't in the correct position. Or does this not matter on removal of valve cover?
There is a special tool for holding the camshafts as you remove the cam cover. Then, once the cam cover is off, you install a locking bridge that secures the camshaft while you set proper timing. Locking the crankshaft pulley at appropriate times is also on Jake Raby's video series. I strongly suggest you purchasing it. It will answer ALL of you questions.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-02-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Timing when pulling cams