Sponsored by:

Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Matt986
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not starting

Hi, I have a 1999 Porsche Boxster and it’s not running. The previous owner I bought it from has replaced the transmission as well as the IMS baring. After I bought it I have replaced the crank sensor, new battery, new fuel pump and fuel level sensor, and new spark plugs. When I turn the engine over it sounds like it’s about to run but doesn’t. We have tried to spray gas right into the throttle body but that didn’t seem to help. Any thoughts on what next I should do?
Old 08-27-2020, 03:58 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Four things required to get an engine to run: Fuel (check your fuel pump output, check your fuel pressure regulator for 50psi, check your fuel pump relay), Air (ensure your air cleaner not clogged, check your throttle body and ensure butterfly works when gas pedal depressed), Spark (crank engine with a spark plug removed and grounded with coil still attached to check for spark), and Timing (rotate engine by hand to ensure timing marks on flywheel and camshafts line up at Top Dead Center). Have you checked for any codes, might be something there. When you say the engine sounds like its about to run, are you getting any combustion at all, coughing/sputtering/backfiring? Might be a massive air leak, check to ensure the throttle body to intake manifold and air cleaner to throttle body clamps are all tight. If the car was running before you replaced the Crank Position Sensor, try re-installing the old Crank Position Sensor as sometimes brand new electrical components are bad right out of the box.
The following 2 users liked this post by Weazer:
placer (08-27-2020), Shawn Stanford (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:38 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 461 Posts

What happened to the car that you needed to replace all those parts? That might be a clue.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:53 PM
Matt986
AutoX

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
What happened to the car that you needed to replace all those parts? That might be a clue.
The previous owner had it sitting for 3 years before I bought it.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Matt986
AutoX

Originally Posted by Weazer
Four things required to get an engine to run: Fuel (check your fuel pump output, check your fuel pressure regulator for 50psi, check your fuel pump relay), Air (ensure your air cleaner not clogged, check your throttle body and ensure butterfly works when gas pedal depressed), Spark (crank engine with a spark plug removed and grounded with coil still attached to check for spark), and Timing (rotate engine by hand to ensure timing marks on flywheel and camshafts line up at Top Dead Center). Have you checked for any codes, might be something there. When you say the engine sounds like its about to run, are you getting any combustion at all, coughing/sputtering/backfiring? Might be a massive air leak, check to ensure the throttle body to intake manifold and air cleaner to throttle body clamps are all tight. If the car was running before you replaced the Crank Position Sensor, try re-installing the old Crank Position Sensor as sometimes brand new electrical components are bad right out of the box.
Car wasn’t running before I replaced the bad crank position sensor, and also when I cranked it before the tachometer wasn’t working so I replaced it. I just check all new spark plugs and found that only one cylinder was correctly firing. All 5 others still looked brand new. All spark plugs had spark with the coil except one so Im replacing the coils. I also did a compression test and it read around 200psi for each cylinder so I know I have good compression. I’ll be taking the fuel injectors out and sending them out to get cleaned.
The following users liked this post:
Weazer (09-01-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Matt986
AutoX

Default Update

So she started! We sprayed gas right into the throttle body and it started. So I’m gonna take out fuel injectors, and get them cleaned and put them back in. If anyone has a good way of taking them out let me know! Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Stanford (09-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Not starting