Erratic Power Seat Behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 04:22 AM
mundo-kombi
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Erratic Power Seat Behaviour

Hi Guys.

I usually hang out on the 964 thread but having one of those as an introduction to Porsche ownership prompted me to double the size of my fleet, to two. So now I have a 2003 Boxster S, with about every single option that you can specify. What a car, is it really faster than my 964? It certainly seems like it.

It's hardly been used over the last 9 years which I know will create some problems in itself. This weekend has shown that nearly every nut and bolt is corroded in place, even the wheels were stuck on and needed a gentle whack from behind to remove them. Seized aluminium sump plug, coil-pack screws etc all needed some persuasion. With new liquids, filters, belts and plugs etc she's now purring like a little kitten. I just need to remove those pesky 02 sensors now that are throwing a CEL. The angle grinder will make another appearance today as I cut away exhaust clamps and nuts. Maybe I'll be in the market for a sports exhaust

Optioned with the 8-way electric memory heated seats I've noticed that as I move around in the drivers seat I can hear an intermittent clicking, like a relay open and closing yet the seat would work as normal incl. the memory function. Yesterday whilst driving, the seat started clicking again then suddenly decided to adjust it's position and I was lifted up and tilted back, just as I was approaching a roundabout and dropping down a cog or two

Any ideas where I begin with this? Is it just a simple case of replacing a relay? Here's hoping!!

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:59 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I recommend that you review this thread for information about the operation of the power seat: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...wer-seats.html

The memory seat operation is controlled by a circuit board under the driver’s seat. Based on your description, it seems that the fault you experienced caused the seat to move into a position that had been saved in the memory.

Does the seat respond to the controls on the side of the seat bottom or is it jammed?
Old 08-24-2020, 03:33 AM
mundo-kombi
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinH2000
I recommend that you review this thread for information about the operation of the power seat: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...wer-seats.html

The memory seat operation is controlled by a circuit board under the driver’s seat. Based on your description, it seems that the fault you experienced caused the seat to move into a position that had been saved in the memory.

Does the seat respond to the controls on the side of the seat bottom or is it jammed?
Thanks, I'll start reading the thread. Yes, the seat responds to the controls, and generally works as it should, with the memory function for both pre-sets and different keys working fine.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I recommend that you remove the memory control from the door sill and check for a damaged wire. The fact that you were slowing down and turning at the same time suggests that a damaged wire could have moved and shorted against the control sending a signal to the circuit board to move to one of the pre-set memory positions.

The instructions I linked explain the process for removing the control from the door sill.

I hope that this helps.

Quick Reply: Erratic Power Seat Behaviour