Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:11 PM
gmund 1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, I might brush the brakes of lift slightly in 4 just to settle the car. modulate and throttle steer through the carosel. and yes I will be at summit point april 9th & 10th.

Brian, Agree with your philosophy on breaking early especially to reaquire the line as your speds go up But.. to brake in the shute early and near turn 4 is suicide ( no heavy braking downhill anywhere is what Iv'e been told) not to mention the loss of speed and rythum. hope to see you in april
Scott
Old 03-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Did I say to brake near turn 4? If I did I apologize. I mean to brake at the top of the hill between 3 & 4. That's well before turn 4. I've heard the same advice as you about braking downhill.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:36 PM
gmund 1
Advanced

You got it!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:48 PM
cliang
Instructor

Brian,

That's very interesting point about trying to brake early before 4&10. I guess it makes sense so that your working the throttle at turn in and full by exit.
I have run through the chute with no braking but if there's a train or even one car in front it can get pretty hairy becuase most of the drivers in the groups I've been running in always break in 4 and tend to take 5 too wide. Exiting 5 I'm aimed directly toward the flag station in 5. It seems to be the shortest line. Many follow the track toward the infield and lose time. I always make up time there and really have to brake hard into 5. I have made it to nearly 100 in the chute, and I know that most others are 10-15mph slower.

Talking about "planting front tires" do you brake before entering 6?

Chris
Old 03-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Yes, I brake there, but I try to get off the brakes as soon as possible.

In the white run group session, they suggested that was a great place to try left foot braking. I'd agree with that, but I need some more practice on the street before I try it on the track.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:15 PM
cliang
Instructor

I'm not too confident in left foot braking either
Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I tried it for a bit when I drove the tiptronic. When you make yourself queasy from not being smooth enough, you know it's time to stop trying the left foot braking!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:29 PM
cliang
Instructor

You're probably right. I have a hard enough time getting my right foot to what I want sometimes.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:24 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Great fun. I can't wait for VIR in 2 weeks. My Kuhmo v700s were hooking up pretty well. I started with an insane 34lbs all around and ran them right up to 44lbs.

I'm looking forward to that video Brien.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:48 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Brain P -- sneaking off to get a little practice time in? Are we fearing the mighty purple beast?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Good discussion, gents. It was nice to run with you guys at Summit. I wish my suspension was working properly.

Scott/gmund, youw were running great there. You should try the Hawk Blues which are cheaper than the Pagid Oranges and seem about as good. If you want more braking power, the Hawk HT-10's are used by the Busch Clash and Grand National guys and have a higher temp rating than the Blues. Not sure how much more they are, but I may try them next.

In the white group discussion, they talked about doing Turn 1 in second. I tried third gear but felt underpowered and was significantly faster, based on the Hot Lap, when I dropped down to second.

In Turn 10, I try to hit the brakes hard and fast to continue to carry speed form the back section, and try to get on the throttle ASAP to maximize the straight. I sometimes track out on the alligators on the left which is supposed to be okay, but seems tougher on the suspension than it should. I don't know if this is technically or truly the quick way from an experienced racer's POV, but it seems to feel good and is, hopefully, faster.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:53 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Thanks mark, I bought a set of perf fricton from og. they said to start there and then go to orange if I'm still toasting them. Most of the last session that you were timing me.. the second half anyway, my brakes were fading fast. I almost went straight into One. I guess that was one of my 1:50's right? anyway have fun in vir. I'll be at shattenbaum on the 9th & 10 at SP. By the way has ganati worked out your suspension problem?
Scott
Old 03-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Scott,

I'm not sure if I'll make VIR since my car won't be ready. I decided to go with the Moton Club Sport suspension with ERP monoballs front and rear. I might do Schattenbaum instead. I'll let you know.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been using second on T1 for quite awhile. Even with 247 HP, I feel like I'm driving my 914 when I'm in third. I've also been playing around with trail braking into T1. Supposedly a well known pro said that was the fast line. I also use second gear coming out of 5. It gives me that extra oomph to get to the apex of 6, where I change to 3rd.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:50 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Mark I hope to see you at the point, Manny I think you have something there. I little extra rotation is a good thing I think. I'll be in my garage all weekend doing new pads all around & installing new vostek billit Aluminum pedals. I could not locate the wings guy y'all told me about so I went with vostek and I must say they are beautiful. If anybody wants to come to annapolis on saturday to change oil or do some under the car work, my lift would be available. Its a 4 post drive on so if its brake work you need then you still wave to jack the car.
Scott

Quick Reply: Summit Point last weekend