Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster 986 "when brakes are pressed ABS light goes on and wing goes up"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:00 AM
subyking
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Boxster 986 "when brakes are pressed ABS light goes on and wing goes up"

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Boxtser 986 and i was wondering if anyone is experiencing or experienced the same issue i am having and can give me some suggestions. When i press on the brakes in my Boxster the "ABS" light turns on and the wing goes up. When i release the brakes the "ABS" light turns off and the wing goes back down. Just as a side note and may be vital info is that that the rats chewed through the harness and the wires were repaired. The main area of damage is under the Cowell on the drivers side. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys in advance for any help
Old 08-04-2020, 03:21 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

I had the same experience the other day with my 1999 Boxster Base, hit the brakes and the ABS light came on and the spoiler went up, except my ABS light stayed on. When I next started the car, the ABS light came on at startup with all the other lights, then went off and stayed off. I lowered the spoiler with the footwell switch when it first came up and its stayed down since then. I keep the car in a locked garage which is not to say rodents couldn't get at the wiring. For now, I'm monitoring it very closely.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:59 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by subyking
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Boxtser 986 and i was wondering if anyone is experiencing or experienced the same issue i am having and can give me some suggestions. When i press on the brakes in my Boxster the "ABS" light turns on and the wing goes up. When i release the brakes the "ABS" light turns off and the wing goes back down. Just as a side note and may be vital info is that that the rats chewed through the harness and the wires were repaired. The main area of damage is under the Cowell on the drivers side. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys in advance for any help
A side note? LOL.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 AM
subyking
Instructor

geee thanks for the help lol it is funny just don't even know where to go from here
the wiring schematics are impossible to find in lost
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Starter986
Pro

geee thanks for the help lol it is funny just don't even know where to go from here
the wiring schematics are impossible to find in lost
I wasn't laughing at your predicament, but the presentation.

You've got a very interesting electrical problem... does this... does that... and, by the way, "It could be associated with the chewing the rats did".

OK. My first thought is that the repair was done improperly.

The second thought is that you found the chewed wires... had an A-Ha moment.. and didn't look any further. You could have additional chewed-up wires... but unless you looked for more... you'll never know.

If you are certain you have no other chewed wires I'd take it to the shop... or another shop... and have that electrical repaired.

By the way: Who did the repair in the first place? The repair that caused the spoiler/window anamoly?

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:48 PM
subyking
Instructor

ok so i got this car with the full wire harness rolled up in a ball in the trunk
i went threw the whole harness and and repaired one by one(i build races cars and makes harnesses as well for a living)
there was one part of the harness that is located from the fire wall on the driver side and out the second fire wall in to the trunk and leading to the abs module, that there where 3 wires that where the same color brown with black strip so i have left those 3 wires with a jumper so i can re arrange them once the car is running.
i looked all over for the wiring schematics for this car and i have no luck
but on another note i don't think that that is the case as per @Starter986 had the same issue at one point with out having his harness tampered with!
if some one can get me a good copy of the whole abs and rear wing wire harness schematics that could help
thanks again guys
oh on another note other then the abs light tuning on and the rear wing going up and down as i press the brake peddle the car runs perfect with no other issues and no check engine light or other code
Old 08-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Starter986
Pro

ok so i got this car with the full wire harness rolled up in a ball in the trunk
i went threw the whole harness and and repaired one by one(i build races cars and makes harnesses as well for a living)
there was one part of the harness that is located from the fire wall on the driver side and out the second fire wall in to the trunk and leading to the abs module, that there where 3 wires that where the same color brown with black strip so i have left those 3 wires with a jumper so i can re arrange them once the car is running.
i looked all over for the wiring schematics for this car and i have no luck
but on another note i don't think that that is the case as per @Starter986 had the same issue at one point with out having his harness tampered with!
if some one can get me a good copy of the whole abs and rear wing wire harness schematics that could help
thanks again guys
oh on another note other then the abs light tuning on and the rear wing going up and down as i press the brake peddle the car runs perfect with no other issues and no check engine light or other code
Kudos to you. I'm actually waiting for an electrical problem to surface in my car. Not that there is anything particularly concerning... an unfounded fear. That stuff truly is patience driven... time consuming... roadblock after roadblock. Sir, you have my respect.

Keep us posted upon the outcome... what you run into. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Quick Reply: Boxster 986 "when brakes are pressed ABS light goes on and wing goes up"