Sponsored by:

1999 Boxter Electrical Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:46 AM
OnlyinaZR2
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Boxter Electrical Woes

Good mornig everyone! First post and first Porshe that I am troubleshooting. The car is a 1999 Boxster, 71,000 miles, always kept in Garage, older lady driven, always serviced on by Porshe ceritified techs its whole life. in late 2017, she had some issues with oil consumption and the clutch going out so she had the oil air separator replaces, and the clutch as well. in the time it was in the shop she got tired of waiting for it to be done so she bought her a Mercedes. When the Boxster was finished she parked it in the garage and there she sat for 2 years with a flat battery. Lately she decided she wanted more room in the garage and has decided to sell it, she asked if I would spiff it up a bit for her and sell it for her. Her house handyman had installed a new battery before i looked at the car and she told me some fuses needed to be replaced because the battery caused them to trip when he hooked it back up.
So my issues i have found are
1. TheClimate control module pops fuse E7 at ignition on. I can remove the unit and replace the fuse and it does not pop when ignition is on, it pops when the black connector is plugged in the back. ALL other fuses are tested good, right size and right location.
2. The tach, Speedo, and the three info screens at the bottom do not work. Fuel, Temperature, signals, cruise, idiot lights all are working. I pulled the cluster to check the connectors, they are perfect. Could something be unplugged during the clutch install? She doesnt remember if it worked on the way home or not she is elderly. She did say they air was working, she had the hardtop installed almost all the time hot humid SC summers.
I have an ignition switch coming in this afternoon just to be sure thats not the issue, the old one is original.

Thanks in advance everyone, Nice to meet y'all.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:43 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 461 Posts

Yeesh. I've never had problems like that with my Boxsters. Based on the posts I've seen here over the years, electrical problems aren't common. The only electrical problem I've had is a battery drain, which was caused by some kind of B.S. that a P.O. put into the car.

I recommend you ask on Pelican Forums and 986Forums as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 AM
OnlyinaZR2
AutoX

Thanks I sure will. I replaced the ignition switch again and it didnt fix a thing. I found a reciept in her car for an cluster repair in 2016, at 64000 miles she had the same issue the speedo died and info center. its at 71000 miles now there about. i will post up to pelican and 986 forums as well thanks for all the help. I may suggest she let it go as-is, I wonder what a fair price to ask for the thing is.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:41 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 461 Posts

Early Boxsters are cheap. With 71k and everything perfect, she might be looking at $10-12k for the right buyer. As it is, it sounds like $8k on a good day. You can pick up early Boxsters with 100k on the clock and everything working for under $8k all day.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 PM
OnlyinaZR2
AutoX

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Early Boxsters are cheap. With 71k and everything perfect, she might be looking at $10-12k for the right buyer. As it is, it sounds like $8k on a good day. You can pick up early Boxsters with 100k on the clock and everything working for under $8k all day.
Thanks, That’s right around what I was figuring. It has a few other little cosmetic things so I’m going to shoot a little lower. Thanks again
Old 08-20-2020, 08:53 PM
OnlyinaZR2
AutoX

Default Fixed HVAC

Just a follow up for those who may come across this later. The HVAC module ended up being bad. Replaced with a known good and all is well with the heat and A/C.
It goes in tomorrow to test cluster with a known good at a local shop, I’ll post the results. The only other issues I have left are the power spoiler and horn tray bushings yay!
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Stanford (08-22-2020)

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxter Electrical Woes