New Boxster S - Need Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:08 PM
sietek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Boxster S - Need Speakers

Hey all,

I just picked up a “New” ’03 Boxster S (left over stock, with 100 miles). It has “almost” all the options that I wanted, and I got it for a great deal. Since I still can’t figure out how to post pics to the site, here is a link to some pics of my new ride, from the day that I got her.

photos.yahoo.com/sietek31

I got her from Hennessy Porsche, in Alpharetta (North Atlanta) Georgia. Just for the record, I have to say that Hennessy Porsche rocks. If you need a new or used Porsche, see Joe Williams @ Hennessy Porsche.

Anyway, like I said before, it has ALMOST every option that I want. The problem is, it only has the base radio, with those two tiny speakers in the dash. Needless to say, the radio doesn’t sound all too good. I was wondering…… Does anyone know of any door speaker enclosures out there, that I can use to mount speakers to the doors? I have seen the lower door panels on the Boxsters that have speakers in the doors. Something like that would work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Old 03-16-2004, 12:24 AM
cliang
Instructor

I believe you can buy the door speaker enclosures from your dealer, but they may need to be painted to match your interior. Your doors are not deep enough to go without them.

I looked into putting them in because my car was equally equipped, but it seemed like a lot of trouble. When the cars were originally built they had generic wiring harnesses; so all you had to do was install the speakers. Now they are built with option specific harnesses so your radio installer will have to run new wires.

I ended up putting in new dash speakers, the rear speaker kit, and a bass tube in the front trunk. It sounds okay. The front speakers are only 4" and the rears are only 2". The install was a lot less expensive and can be removed. The hard part is finding the rear speaker kit because I have heard Porsche has discontinued it. I have seen it several times on eBay.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:08 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I just noticed some Boxster factory rear speakers at Suncoast while looking for other stuff. Never tried them but might be worth a look.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=WS
Old 03-19-2004, 03:01 PM
sietek
Track Day

Thanks all. I will check them out.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:52 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 416 Posts

Welcome to the Speed-Yellow Boxster club! Best color there is!

Check out
http://www.ppbb.com/board/986board.htm
when you get a chance. Very way cool Boxster only board!
Old 03-19-2004, 06:16 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I strongly recomend not to get the rear speakers.

I have a 01S with the hi-fi option (amplifier in the front trunk and CDR220)

I have the factory rear speakers in my rear upper console (4 speakers) plus two in the door panel plus four in the dashboard (middle and tweeter).

My stereo sound like shi..t. A $10k Chevy sounds better (nothing against American cars).

The Bose system in the 02+ comes with woofers and sound very good but not great.

Get an aftermarket high powered (50/60w x4) head unit ($250), because 03 comes with Fiber optic connection. Get the lower door panel from the dealer for cars with the hi-fi or Bose option ($ ???). Two 5 1/4" speaker with integrated tweeters and two 4" with integrated tweeters, or same size but with separated components ($179 + $199).

That will sound a lot better than my setup with all factory hi-fi option plus the extra rear speakers. BTW the factory amp in the hi-fi is 30w x4.

Let me know your decision
Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 AM
sietek
Track Day

Sasilverbullet,

Thanks for the heads up on the board Boxster board. I do love the yellow.

NJ-GT,

I didn't know that the lower door panels were available. I will call me dealer this Morning.

Quick Reply: New Boxster S - Need Speakers