Sponsored by:

ABS Speed Sensor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Kojac
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Speed Sensor Removal

I am trying to remove and replace an ABS Speed Sensor but it appears frozen or welded in place. I have tried pentrating oil; screw driver, chisel, etc. It will not move or come out. Yes, I took the allen screw out. I did not try flame heat as I did not want to set anything on fire. Any help from anyone who has had this situation? Kojac
Old 07-18-2020, 02:43 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Given how the sensor sits, it would seem like the flange must be stuck to the carrier housing. The cylindrical part of the sensor should have minute clearance from with the hole it sits in so hopefully that's not what is frozen.

Once the Allen screw is out, the sensor would normally rotate freely in its hole (were the flange not frozen in place). So, can you use pliers on the flange to get a good twisting force on it? Use something for more leverage on the pliers if needed. Since you are planning to replace the sensor, no big deal if you damage it during removal.

A bigger step: If you remove the wheel carrier (first: remove the brake caliper & disc, and then the axle bolt, probably the lower control arm bolt, etc. so that you can remove the stub axle (front) or outer axle end (rear)), you should gain clear access to the underside of the sensor (the hole it's in peeks at the rotating axle teeth) and thus be able to tap on it and pop it out. I'm not sure from that angle how much clearance there is to, say, put a sturdy pin under it and whack it with a hammer. (see attached photo showing front part with stub axle)

I guess the last resort is to buy a new or used wheel carrier / upright! You can find them on eBay for $100-$200.

Quick Reply: ABS Speed Sensor Removal