Sponsored by:

5-6 Point Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:55 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5-6 Point Harnesses

Can anybody give me advise on 5-6 point harness installation. I bought the Scroth 5 point system & had my shop instal it on my 2001 2.7 986. problem is with the stock seat you can't properly use the single anti sub belt. Ie venders say not safe, no way etc. So I have ordered up & recieved a belt for the 6 point method. P.S. The reason I am going through this is for the drivers ed & auto cross season. the first event is this weekend at summit point. Anyway, the V-shaped anti sub belt doesnot seem long enough and I am wondering what is the correct position for the center connection hub when in my standard track driving position? Should it be at, below or above, your typical belt buckel? And how tight/snug should the sub belt be set? What I don't want to have happen is an instructor on a checkout drive saying the are all wrong and have to revert to the original belt system for the event. Any comments would be helfull including appropriate lower mounting points.

thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

gmund 1,

Look me up at Summit (car 871) and I'll show you my solution. I ended up getting GT3 seats.

I used to have it connected like yours. Here's my advice. You want to buckle the anti-sub first, and that should be very snug and below the typical belt buckle. Next, do the lap belts. Finally, when you do the shoulder belts and pull those snug, the buckle will pull up to a normal spot, and the anti-sub belt will be less snug.

Also, you may want to look into some sternum straps. I had instructors who didn't like to use harnesses with stock seats. As I said, look me up and I'll explain more.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2000 Boxster with the Shroth 6 point harness and the stock seats. If you do not want to drill extra holes in your car you need the "tunnel mount" hardware to make it work.

Car Northstar Motorsports and they can set you up.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/

They are expert in the use and advice on the installation of safety equipment for Porsches. The owner John Ruther is the Chief Driving instructor for the PCA Chicago Region.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:36 PM
gmund 1
Advanced

Thanks Guys. Brian, I'll see you on Sat.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:33 AM
cliang
Instructor

Scott,

What kind of monster are you building? Sam just told me you did suspension, brakes, and tire warmers too. I can't wait to see on Sat. Are you going to start club racing with Mark?

Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Scott,

I have 6 point Sabelt harnesses and think that it offers better force distribution than a 5 pointer. Yes, I do know that a sub belt is designed to keep the lap belt across the hips, but in a catastrophic accident where the body is being shake and stirred, there is simply no telling what kind of forces may be placed on any of the harness points.

My sub is secure but not overly tight. A 6 pointer also seems to distribute the force in a more gonad-friendly way.

See you this weekend.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:52 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Chris, Mark;
I seem to have it all worked out, at least for this event. One of the 6 point legs on each set is a little short/snug with no more material to lengthen. So I'll see how uncomfortable it is this weekend and add a more forward mounting point later if nec. The passenger side is fine unless I get a 6'2 & 220 # instructor. I agree with the gonad friendly route of the 6 pointer as well. Chris I'm not building the monster yet. No engine mods whatsoever, I see no point at this time but I have done the following over the winter;
H&R springs, front & back Strut tower braces, 6 point harnesses, braided brakelines, minox r pads all around, sloted rotors on the front, and fresh Michelin sport cups. These mods fit the theory; Do all the saftey and handling mods first & then work the engine. Club Racing will be considered next year based on what our buddy Mark does. I think I would get something else to race but then again, with the boxsters resale values where they are...maybe its the ideal rig to go racing in ...much like the 914s have become. See y'all tomorrow
Scott
Old 03-12-2004, 12:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

my 2 cents. i was dumb and didn't pay much attention to "saftey". it's just DE, what's the big deal.... well i learned the hard way.

i prefer 6pt over 5pt, b/c 5 pt HURTS "down there". but that's just preference.

with recard to crotch belt (5 or 6 pt), please get a race seat that allows the crotch belt to come up through seat cushion. on stock seats, the crotch belt is too far from your crotch, imagine you slame into that thing. and it's just isn't as secure. furthermore, without guiding holes for your shouldbelt, they may fall off your shoulder in an incident. yes, you can circumvent that with a cross belt, but why not just get a nice proper seat for it. a recaro pole position is very comfy for track or street and it's not that expensive. if you look around, you can get a new one for $600. i think my life is worth a tad more than $600. sorry for the long post.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

sorry, should have spell checked. way too many typo's... but you get my drift.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:03 PM
gmund 1
Advanced

mmm... I will most likely get the seats. I'm a little bummed at the whole situation. I would think that anythings better than the stock 3 point system & would be better & thus acceptible. Now, Ive got about $1000 into 6 pointers for both sides ( installed ) and it still seems not good enough. I'll give what i've got a try this weekend and then make arrangements for the seat install this summmer. I will look into those recaros. they sound like a good value. Thank you for your time & input. It could be worse.... It could be that I have no porsche to spend $ on. Now that would really be sad.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I was in the same boat that you were. 6-point install with stock seats.

Give it a try at summit, but don't be surprised if you get some comments on it (many consider harnesses with stock seats a no-no). Personally, I never felt comfortable with the idea that the shoulder belts might slip off if I ever really need them. To fix that, I put in sternum straps, but those were also a pain to deal with (I suspect I wasn't using them correctly)

The GT3 seats are great, but they are also $$$$
Old 03-12-2004, 03:42 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

gt3 seats are 1250 each at foreign affair. recaro is cheaper. either works well. how did you spend $1k on belts? my are schroth 6 pt. i remember they were $350 per side. but trust me, you would be glad you had the belt and seats in the unlikely event that you need them.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:56 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

As far as the belts go I bought the 5 point harness, then had to buy the six point attachments ( both sides) then have them installed correctly. It was probably very close to $1000.

Now.. at the track this weekend the whole system worked great with the oem seats. But.. most of the other cars had already upped the ante to new seats. I sat in a few and they were a pretty nice enhancement. Maybe next year. Chesapeake region PCA autocross rules prohibit a change to a non factory seat ie you get bumped to a modified class. I like to run both at this point so maybe santa claus can get a good deal on some seats for 2005 or maybe a new car so I can auto cross the boxster and track a boxster coupe???? maybe a coupe club sport in 06?? I heard soe rumblings to that effect anyway.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Mmm... sounds to me like you are stepping up to GT3 seats (they are still factory seats)
Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

I think they have to be oem to the Car, but you can be sure I will check before writing the check.

Quick Reply: 5-6 Point Harnesses