Intro to the forum!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:37 PM
TheMattMan
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intro to the forum!

Hello all,
My name is Matt. I discovered this forum a few months ago, and thought I would finally introduce myself. I bought a 2000 Boxster S about a year and a half ago. I was looking for a fun project car that I could wrench on without worrying about screwing it up too much, and I found this car on Craigslist a few miles away from my Dad's house. The car had a broken CV axle, but the engine started up with no issues or engine codes, and the rest of the car seemed pretty clean. I bought it and towed it the few miles back to my father's house, where we fixed the CV axle so I could drive it back to my house about 35 miles away. Since then, I've been driving it as a second car, and turning wrenches on it as problems come up. The car has 124k miles on it, with about 6000 of those miles being added by me in the last year and a half. I plan to put a lot more on it now that its finally fixed up enough to be my daily. The noise it makes is absolutely intoxicating, and I love how tight and responsive all the inputs feel. Also in love with the boxster red interior, and the BBS wheels the previous owner put on it. To top it off, there's really nothing else like driving a convertible in the summer.

Wrenching I've done on the car includes:
- Replaced the soft top
- Replaced both rear CV axles
- Replaced most of the rear control arms
- Replaced the front engine mount
- Replaced a headlight connector that was causing the blinker and low beams to be in-op
- Diagnosed and fixed a P0507 (High Idle RPM) code caused by a hole in the oil filler pipe
- Diagnosed and fixed a P0410 (Secondary air injection issue) caused by a broken vacuum line
- Diagnosed and fixed an issue where I would get a huge cloud of oil out the exhaust under hard acceleration. A previous owner had installed the bank 1-3 oil scavenging pump backwards.
- Replaced the AOS
- Replaced the gas cap to fix a P0455 code
- Replaced the coolant cap to fix coolant evaporating
- General scheduled maintenance and fluid replacement

Work that's still on my list:
The heater isn't working. Not sure whats wrong yet. All I know is that the heater core pipes in the battery compartment are cold after running it, so it seems coolant isn't even getting to the core. Went through the system bleeding procedure, but it didn't fix the issue.
The drivers window doesn't stay cracked when the door is open and the top is up. Almost positive this is due to a microswitch in the door lock actuator going bad, but it hasn't been annoying enough to fix.
There's a window washer fluid leak. Based on where the puddle forms, the current suspect is the passenger side headlight squirter.

Overall, the car's been exactly what I wanted. Something that has enough problems to keep me busy, but not enough to stop me from driving it regularly. Crossing my fingers that it'll keep bringing me many more smile filled miles in the years to come.

The following users liked this post:
911-heaven (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:27 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome aboard. Really nice intro post.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:05 AM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A nice feature of your car is the factory litronic headlights.

Good luck with your project.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:34 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 477 Posts

Nice work so far. You've got a lot of fun miles ahead of you!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:06 AM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome, congrats on a real nice car, I'm digging the red interior!
Old 06-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Jersey John
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi! I have the same car, 2000 S with 61k. I'm so happy I bought it. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TheMattMan (06-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Intro to the forum!