Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the hightest wattage H7 bulb you've used in your 986/996 headlamp unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 03:17 AM
JSQ
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the hightest wattage H7 bulb you've used in your 986/996 headlamp unit?

I'm looking to replace my headlight bulbs with a more serious higher wattage bulb. I'm not interested in doing a xenon or HID conversion, I just want to use a more powerful offroad grade bulb. I'm also not interested in any of the sylvania or other autozone type bulb upgrades. Can the factory wiring harness and headlamp assembly handle a 80/100watt bulb? My modified Land Rover runs a number of serious auxillary lights, but I still added Hella H4 80/100s to the factory lamp assembly for street duty. I'm aware that this brightness isn't technically legal, I just want to know if it works.

So has anyone had any success running a higher wattage bulb with the factory equipment?

thanks for your help.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:35 AM
rage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulbs

Be careful !!! Last year I thought I'd run some of those HID looking lights and I installed a pair of APC bulbs (piaa did not spec H7s at the time ) sold to me by a store who said they would NOT damage my lights and they did. They worked fine for about 2 weeks.... at least that is when I noticed they had given off so much heat that they had caused the lens ( the factory unit ) to melt and become a brownish color. Needless to say I was very mad ! Anyway it forced me to upgrade to the litronic lights... but I would have liked to make that change out of my own doing not because of bad advice. From my experince, I would not run anything other than the factory 55W unless some else has had a better exp than I did.

cheers,

Rage

Quick Reply: What's the hightest wattage H7 bulb you've used in your 986/996 headlamp unit?