Sponsored by:

986 Boxster - Double beep while trying to turn the key in the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Sam7768
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986 Boxster - Double beep while trying to turn the key in the ignition

Just bought my first Porsche car, Boxster (1999) base model with 98,000 miles on it.

Drove it two days and I enjoyed the car.

Facing a strange issue since y'day evening. When I try to start the car, put the key in the ignition and try to turn the ignition key, it beeps twice. And I cannot turn the key to start the car. And when I try to open the door (to get out of the car), alarm goes off. I have to put the key into the door lock and turn it left or right, then alarm would stop.

I tried few times and having the same issue.

Any suggestions/advise on what could be the issue and how to resolve?

Thanks much

Sam
Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

I would suggest that a new ignition switch is in order.
The following users liked this post:
Sam7768 (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Sam7768
AutoX

Thank you. Let me look into it. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam7768
Thank you. Let me look into it. Thanks again.
Ignition switch is certainly suspect. If you can affect the behavior by putting pressure -- in various directions -- on the ignition switch as you operate it this suggests the switch is the culprit.

Body water catch basin drain tubes can get plugged up and water collects and overflows and in doing so can get into the cabin. So be sure the cabin is dry. The floor of the cabin. The security module is located on the floor of the cabin under I think the driver's side seat.

(Even if dry you need to check the body water drains and ensure they are free of trash.)

Another source of water is via the doors. The door membrane -- which keeps water on the wet side of the door from getting to the dry side -- fails and water can then leak into the cabin.

Check the bottom of the doors for any dampness.

Water in the doors can cause odd door lock and window behavior, too. Door membranes fail with age. The ones in my 2002 just failed and the tech initially tried to fix them but this didn't last long. My advice would be to save yourself some money and just have the old one replaced. And in this case if you have one side done have the other side done at the same time. If one is bad the other one is if not bad close enough you might as well get both done at the same time.

Last but not least just a bad door lock controller can cause odd behavior. In the case of my 2002 the horn would sound an alarm sometimes when I tried to lock the car. Thought it was due to a marginal/intermittent center console latch or rear trunk lid latch electrical connection. At other times the doors would lock on their own. Or the passenger window would fail to drop when the door handled was pulled or worse drop but once the door was open go up on its own. The behavior you are experiencing is a bit different but could still be related. You want to be sure. A door lock controller is a rather expensive piece of hardware to replace if it is not needed.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:41 PM
Sam7768
AutoX

Thank you all for the feedback. This is now resolved. I have disconnected the battery for 1 hour and reconnected it and i do not have the problem anymore.

The problem started, it appears to me that, when I was turning the ignition key, accidentally pressed the switches on the key and somehow the security might have activated. lesson learned to be careful when turning the ignition.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam7768
Thank you all for the feedback. This is now resolved. I have disconnected the battery for 1 hour and reconnected it and i do not have the problem anymore.

The problem started, it appears to me that, when I was turning the ignition key, accidentally pressed the switches on the key and somehow the security might have activated. lesson learned to be careful when turning the ignition.
Interesting. While I would not have guessed this was the cause I have to say that for some reason, believe it or not, I was careful and consistent when I inserted the key to always insert it with the button side facing towards the steering column a grasp the key in such a way to avoid ever pressing the buttons when starting the engine. Admittedly I have a mild form of OCD but also years of working with PCs and computer/micro processor controlled hardware and when I can I tend to limit how many things are happening at once. (When I test these things among other things I try to do as many things at once and mix up the order to try to "break" things.)

Quick Reply: 986 Boxster - Double beep while trying to turn the key in the ignition