Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sub + amp install...But now my CAR WONT START!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:08 PM
Amber Wells
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Sub + amp install...But now my CAR WONT START!!

Hello fellow Boxsters!

So to start I’m new here and fairly new to owning a boxster. Like many owners of the Porsche 986 i was compelled to improve my sound system. I am not the original owner of my 97’ Porsche Boxster non-turbo.

The previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo. I should also mention my car has none of the stereo upgrades that Porsche offered/offers. My system includes dash speakers, door speakers, and that funny looking Nokia amp box in the frunk of my car. This Nokia box has a whole rainbow of wires coming out of it. anyway this box was deemed useless by my boyfriend who promptly cut extra long cable from inside the cab of the car. He then proceeded to hook up The amp and sub (amp powered by direct connection to battery)

Unfortunately when I went to start my car to test the sound out .... my car would not start. I suspect it has something to Do with the flat black (but colourful inside) cable that was snipped rather hastily.
Does anyone have some info on how to install a simple amp and sub to an aftermarket stereo for a 97’ Porsche Boxster, please?

Cheers,

-Amber.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Wells
Hello fellow Boxsters!

So to start I’m new here and fairly new to owning a boxster. Like many owners of the Porsche 986 i was compelled to improve my sound system. I am not the original owner of my 97’ Porsche Boxster non-turbo.

The previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo. I should also mention my car has none of the stereo upgrades that Porsche offered/offers. My system includes dash speakers, door speakers, and that funny looking Nokia amp box in the frunk of my car. This Nokia box has a whole rainbow of wires coming out of it. anyway this box was deemed useless by my boyfriend who promptly cut extra long cable from inside the cab of the car. He then proceeded to hook up The amp and sub (amp powered by direct connection to battery)

Unfortunately when I went to start my car to test the sound out .... my car would not start. I suspect it has something to Do with the flat black (but colourful inside) cable that was snipped rather hastily.
Does anyone have some info on how to install a simple amp and sub to an aftermarket stereo for a 97’ Porsche Boxster, please?

Cheers,

-Amber.
If the amp and sub amp are connected directly to the battery I would have to believe they would be powered all the time and this would run down the battery in no time.

If the no start behavior consisted of no cranking but yet all dash lights coming on that can be due to too low a battery. There are other possible explanations. But the last thing touched -- the severed cable and the direct connection of the sound system hardware to the battery -- has to be considered first.

Not sure if I were you I'd trust your boyfriend to trouble shoot this -- check the battery for proper power check the battery for drain with the ignition off, etc. -- but ensuring the battery is good would be step one. Or making it good if it is not and disconnecting the directly wired sound system hardware from the battery and restoring the wiring he cut.

My first and only experience with installing an aftermarket radio in a car was over 40 years ago and I have really no experience worth sharing. My advice would be to find a highly recommended auto stereo shop in your area and let the shop probably remove the existing aftermarket sound system and install what you want.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear your troubles. Firstly, a properly installed after market sound system should not require cutting a bunch of wires. Proper harnesses are available from many sources including Crutchfield who can supply everything needed to tie in old to new. At this point I would do what Macster suggests and get in touch with a qualified car stereo shop. There are likely several in the metro Vancouver area who can help. You may have to flatbed it to a Porsche qualified mechanic first to at least get the car to start again. Trying to cut corners and save money at this point is not likely to help. And I would get your boyfriend to pay for everything but under no circumstances let him near the car with tools ever again.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:22 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Wells
Hello fellow Boxsters!

Cheers,

-Amber.
This happens allot on modern cars if the battery is not disconnected during install - especially Porsche's with older batteries. Try replacing the battery before you do anything else. Many times the cells will go bad when they are fully discharged during an install. Even charging it won't get it back up to speed.

The aftermarket amp is supposed to be directly connected to the amp. However, it should be powered by the blue switched power wire and not the constant power.

Quick Reply: Sub + amp install...But now my CAR WONT START!!