Sponsored by:

Crank no start confusion!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 02:33 AM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cayden
I know this was from a few years ago, I’m having a similar issue, did you ever figure it out?
I too have related problems, and would be interested in knowing OPs results. That being said, should consider starting a new thread, and maybe PMing him

In my case, it long cranks without firing. No fuel smell from the exhaust, no popping or sputtering, just cranks and cranks and cranks. Spraying starter fluid into the air box causes popping and sputtering, but no actual running. After a random number of tries, suddenly, it will start and run. When it does eventually run, it goes 100% fine until I shut it down again. It may or may not start right back up again, though it mostly has issues starting cold.

I know for a fact the immobilizer (under drivers seat) has unacceptable levels of water damage. PCB looked like a coral reef. (picture below) I cleaned it all up and checked it, and the starter lockout circuit in particular was totally inoperable, so I have that bypassed at the relay with a jumper wire so I can at least crank it. Even though that act got it driving I strongly suspect the immobilizer is still my issue. It's not as if I have actually fixed it, and it has some authority over the engine computer. Have a look at what mine looked like, admittedly, this is a pretty sorry case.

Immobilizers Suck @$$

Lastly, I'd also like to note that rodents chewed the f*$7 out of the wiring in my Boxster. IAC, and TPS harness were fully severed. Logic suggests I should probably suspect that this wasn't all they ruined.

Just some things to look into. Start a new thread and link here, I'll join, and let you know what I figure out. (I may start my own thread also/too)

Quick Reply: Crank no start confusion!!