Locate: Idle Control Valve 2.7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 PM
John Sampson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locate: Idle Control Valve 2.7 engine

Hi all,

I'm having idle problems on my 2002, Porsche Boxster when it first starts up, I wanted to check the Idle control valve. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that shows where its located. I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster 2.7l engine.
Any graphics or instructions on how to access it would be awesome!

Thanks
Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

I Googled Idle Control Valve 2.7 engine 986 Boxster and found a ****load of resources.

Try it.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Idle air control is built into the throttle body on your model. The computer will just crack the throttle blade open a little to regulate idle
Old 10-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by John Sampson
Hi all,

I'm having idle problems on my 2002, Porsche Boxster when it first starts up, I wanted to check the Idle control valve. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that shows where its located. I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster 2.7l engine.
Any graphics or instructions on how to access it would be awesome!

Thanks
To repeat what others have said there is no idle control valve on the 2.7l engine. The idle control is part of the e-Gas system and is accomplished by a slight adjustment to the opening of the throttle butterfly valve. (The butterfly valve is physically not able to close all the way and likewise is limited in how much it can open.

With idle issues and no error codes/CEL my advice would be to calibration the e-Gas system. This should be detailed in the owners manual. For my 2002 Boxster 2.7l (from memory) with the key off and your foot off the gas pedal turn the ignition to just on. Leave on at least 60 seconds. Turn off the ignition and leave off for at least 10 seconds. The next time the engine is started the calibration is complete.

The factory recommendation is to after the calibration check for an e-Gas system error codes and if any present address those. The e-Gas system has a problem.

The above "should" be done maybe every 5K miles or after the vehicle has had 12V power disconnected.

If the idle issue is present after you'll have to come back and post more details. Miles. Stock or modified? When did the idle issue show up. Detials on the severity of the idle issue, and so on.

Quick Reply: Locate: Idle Control Valve 2.7 engine