Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M shifter - Did I do this right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 02:15 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question B&M shifter - Did I do this right?

I took the plunge and installed the highly-touted B&M short shifter upgrade yesterday. As Richard Petty would say: "Man! What a difference!" It definitely gives a tighter and more precise feel to the transmission, and I definitely recommend it. I actually got it installed on the first try, with no parts left over (pretty amazing for me!).

My question comes from the DIY instructions, steps 24-26. When you remove the stock shifter, there's a plastic "cube" attached to the pivot ball. After lubricating the pivot ball on the B&M shifter, the instructions don't say to re-attach the plastic cube before inserting the shifter on step 26. The pivot ball on the B&M shifter is a bit larger than the one on the stock shifter, so I didn't try to attach the plastic cube to the B&M. I simply greased the pivot ball and it moves freely in the slot formerly occupied by the old pivot ball/plastic cube. There is very little clearance in that slot for the new pivot ball, so I assumed it was designed not to have the cube attached.

Was I correct in not attaching the cube? It shifts superbly now, but I want to avoid any catastrophes "down the road."

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the small plastic square? I'm pretty that stays on the stock shifter.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done a few dozen B&M installs.

You did it right. The white plastic square bushing on the oem shift is not used on the the B&M. As you noticed the large metal pivot ball on the B&M takes it's place.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:17 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here...I didn't attach the plastic square bushing.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:33 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steve, TP and autobahnNY: Thanks! I feel better now. Maybe someday I'll attempt an oil change...

Quick Reply: B&M shifter - Did I do this right?