Sponsored by:

03 Boxster, Headlights Inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:42 PM
peytonimor7
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 Boxster, Headlights Inoperative

All lights worked fine up front: fogs, parking lights, DRL's, and high beams. Just no headlights.

Started off by pulling DF headlight assembly. Removed headlight bulb and tested it on an alternate 12v+ source. It lit up, bulb is good.

I then removed the headlight connector from its own housing and plugged it directly into the headlight assembly to rule out any finicky connector alignment issue. Still no go.

I admit I checked the fuses first and all were good.

The next step was checking power at the fuse panel and lo and behold, I am getting no power to fuses 9 & 10 (Row A)

Check wiring diagram and see that power for fuse comes directly from headlight switch.

(Now I somewhat was leaning towards the switch already. It felt a little loose, and if you'd go from headlights to parking lights quickly, the instrument cluster lights would go out for just a split second. Only did this intermittently which led me to believe it was a problem in the switch.)

Will update later with more in-depth pictures, but the switch was the problem. I tore the old switch apart and found that the contact for the headlights had a film of corrosion over the points. Just a simple switch with points similar to old Bug ignitions.

I'm sure you could pull your switch apart and clean the contacts to save yourself some money, but I do this professionally so that was not an option.
The following users liked this post:
melzap (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply: 03 Boxster, Headlights Inoperative