Sponsored by:

How old are you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I, too, got the mid-life crisis thing from one of my colleagues. However, it wasn't so much because the Boxster is a Porsche, but because it is a convertible. Of course, I've been into cars since I was a teenager, so I don't see it as a mid-life crisis. It just took me 36 years to get to the point where I can afford to spend the better part of $30K on a sports car. A mid-life crisis for me would be something like taking up mountain climbing. (After reading John Krakauer's book, I don't see that happening!)
Old 02-21-2004, 02:21 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey

I'm 26 and a 3rd year attorney. I don't get grief because I paid my dues, I just wasn't a complete retard or jerkoff by taking longer than 4 years to get a double major or longer than 3 years to get my JD. No special parent privileges, no special government dole, just plain old bootstraps, the way its supposed to be.

I frankly don't care about getting grief from others. If it wasn't for stupid people or lazy people, there'd be no way to find out who was smart or diligent. Give me all the grief you want, I'll glady sleep in my bed in my home, they can sleep in theirs.

I also know that there's always some valedictorian that was a professional organ donor, on the US olympic something-or-other-team, and worked 2 jobs throughout. I don't mind at all that they can look down on me. I want my kids to know, like I did, that no matter how good I made for myself, somebody had it worse and did better anyway. Insecurity is a good motivator, for those that respond to it. For those that don't, your genes suck. Or even worse, your genes are great and you just plain suck.

I don't get any grief at work because everybody for whom I work is smarter than me. No resentment, no envy. They pay better than the going rate, and I provide better than the going rate for my widget. The partners live very well by anyone's standards off of my labor, and I live very well by anyone's standards off of the salary it takes to keep me.

If you're getting grief, you need to stop associating with poor people or stupid people, even if they're family. Read some Ayn Rand. It's the most basic thing, God created all men equal. You have no one else to blame but yourself for what happens after that.

BTW, Tour18, you're almost right. Shoot 'em in the street, drag them into your house, and then call the cops.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I'm 30...this is my second Porsche. I had a 99' base as well. I must say the car has change things. There are a lot of positive vibes, but didnt realize how much negativity is associated with this car at times. I just ignore it, but the other day someone bent back my personalize plate! That's hard to swallow. Other cars I've owned:

92' VW 2.0 16v GTI
90' VW G60 Corrado (later VR6 engine swap)
94' Toyoto Supra twin turbo
Old 02-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm 32 - bought the first Porsche (the red 951) about a year and a half ago. Bought the Boxster S last summer. So far, most of the reactions I get are very positive. Just about everytime I stop for gas someone comes over to talk to me about the Porsche (no matter which one I'm driving) and I take the time to answer all the questions they have and show them around the car if they're interested. And I always try and drive friendly when I'm in a Porsche. I think folks in San Antonio are just friendly for the most part so that probably has a lot to do with it. I really like talking to the 16 to 24 year olds - my basic message to them is always work hard, save up, and you can have one too. Maybe not a brand new twin turbo, but there are plenty of good used Boxsters, 944s, and 911s out there. I do get quite a few challengers in the 951 - something about driving a red turbo Porsche just makes everyone want to race you. Funniest one was today actually - a 40-year old soccer mom in her Suburban. She looked over at me at a stoplight, revved her engine, and floored it when the light turned. I was laughing so hard I almost stalled out.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Helen
Racer

42, owned a boxster since 2000. and am awaiting the answer to my mid life crisis,
the delivery of a new GT3. some time this year if im lucky
Old 02-24-2004, 07:19 PM
JMorgan456
Track Day

I am 37 and I bought my 2000 2.7 new. It was a gift for making partner at the firm.

It was a little stretch, but you only live once.

Several people looked funny at me. Then again, my other car is a 1995 Camaro, which I also bought new. There is always going to be someone who complains.

I do pay attention to who might see the car. I have several clients who complain about bills. Why give them an excuse.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:19 PM
JMorgan456
Track Day

I am 37 and I bought my 2000 2.7 new. It was a gift for making partner at the firm.

It was a little stretch, but you only live once.

Several people looked funny at me. Then again, my other car is a 1995 Camaro, which I also bought new. There is always going to be someone who complains.

I do pay attention to who might see the car. I have several clients who complain about bills. Why give them an excuse.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Dwayne the soccer mom dint want to race. She wanted you to follow. Get with the program.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 PM
erics944
Racer

I'm 25, and just bought my first porsche a few months ago. 1986 944 na. I work at an expensive private university. Many expensive cars on campus, and one of my co-workers has a '97 boxter.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:41 PM
delhi
Racer

big deal. used boxsters aren't expensive. what's with the envy. for the same money, some ppl buy a Honda Accord some buy a used Boxster. get over it.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Helen
Racer

and i wonder which car will be worth more after two year use.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:06 PM
eshane
Instructor

Ha! I'm older than dirt. 53 last september. Got my first Porsche last Saturday. 944 S2 cabrio. whoo-haa. What a gas. I've been there, done that. There's always gonna be someone with more, someone with less. Be happy with what you got. Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans! Best to all...........
Old 02-26-2004, 09:24 PM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

HaHaHaHaHa - You are older than I am - I was 53 last DECEMBER. I got my first Porsche in July - 2002 Boxster (OK, I know someone will say it isn't a "real" Porsche).

Originally posted by eshane
Ha! I'm older than dirt. 53 last september. Got my first Porsche last Saturday. 944 S2 cabrio. whoo-haa. What a gas. I've been there, done that. There's always gonna be someone with more, someone with less. Be happy with what you got. Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans! Best to all...........
Old 02-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boxsters are as real a Porsche as a Carrera GT. And that's a fact.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:52 AM
delhi
Racer

Boxsters are as real a Porsche as a Carrera GT. And that's a fact.
... just like the 924, 944, 928, 968 and of course the Cayenne!

Quick Reply: How old are you?