Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Code + Check engine light

Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 PM
John Sampson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Error Code + Check engine light

These are the two error codes I got from the scanner, any ideas what could be wrong?

MAF looked clean, didn't notice anything unusual

Any ideas are welcomed!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:46 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

What year model? How was the MAF tested and proven to be good? Doubtful that both O2 sensors have gone bad at the same time. My bet would be fuel delivery issues or a vacuum leak but that one is also the biggest pain to track down. You can't know the MAF is good without knowing what the parameters are that indicate its proper operation. You can't rule out the O2 sensors without testing them as well. If you are at Autozone for a courtesy scan then I have to assume you aren't equipped for doing a smoke test on it as well. You need a good Indy or your preferred dealership to know more.

If you got a code for one bank running lean then I'd suspect either a bad O2 sensor, fuel delivery problem or perhaps an intake leak on that bank. However since you got it on both banks I would suspect the MAF, fuel pump pressure or vacuum leak. If it is fuel delivery related I would also to expect you to see a code related to fuel pressure as well so that again points me back to MAF or a vaccum leak.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bet is on a vacuum leak.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:36 AM
John Sampson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a 2002. Sometimes the idle is a bit rough, nothing crazy just a little bit of one.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:47 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Well that's a car full of 17 year old rubber vacuum lines. I'd go hunting for a vacuum leak.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

P1128 = Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 - Above Limit
P1130 = Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 - Above Limit

Possible causes:
  • Fouled MAF sensor
  • Exhaust Leaks
  • Intake Leaks
  • Low Fuel Pressure
  • Fouled Fuel Injectors

Never had a fouled MAF in nearly 500K miles of Porsche driving, but my Boxster had a number of intake leaks a few due to a failing AOS. So, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention AOS. Not every failing AOS causes a CEL, in my experience just 1 out of 3, but you can't ignore a possible AOS failure.

Another thing to check is the oil filler tube cap. This can leak due to age/miles. With the engine up to temp and idling open the rear trunk and without unscrewing/loosening the cap see if you can just move the cap about or even pull it up a bit. If you can and if the engine reacts that's a bad cap. My 2002 Boxster went through 2 of these in over 300K miles and the cap on my Boxster had a bit of play. Might mention the oil filler tube cap leak was an idle only leak. Above idle the leak became insignificant.

Never had this happen with my Boxster, but the oil tube can crack/split or in some way develop a leak.

The intake o-rings have been known to fail and while I never had any problems with vacuum hoses as Venom51 mentioned there are a number of vacuum hoses which can develop a leak. A smoke test though should alert the tech to any intake o-ring or vacuum hose leaks. Not sure if it can help a tech detect an oil filler tube leak or a failed AOS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Error Code + Check engine light