Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 986...so many newbie questions - Sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 12:48 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

Rennlist members are terrible, especially when they offer you a ride in their car. (I'm kidding, of course.)

Good luck on the hunt, and do enjoy the car and post pictures for us to oogle over. Life is short. Drive a Porsche!
Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 AM
TimboAA
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I did get a chance to go today. I had 5 lined up and ended up looking at 3 due to time. I looked at a '98 Silver Boxster w/Red interior priced right at a dealer. A black one, and another silver one. None of them really did it for me.

The '98 Silver w/Red interior - 89k miles - $9000

Car ran pretty well. I almost forgot what it was like to go from a modern shifter to an older style. Took me a split second to think and then enjoy. This one was a 2.5L and as many say, needs to be driven. Very tame in the low RPMs. It's been probably 7+ years since I've driven a NA manual car for any length of time. The interior was in pretty decent shape say for the floor mats. Plus I was digging the red and my wife did too. The top was rear window was in rough shape, however, the dealer has a new one to install. Which would be wise if they did it soon.... the drains were plugged. I took it to an open parking lot and made a few hard turns and heard *slosh slosh*....Looks like some rain water has gotten in. Cosmetically on the exterior, it looks like it has closer to 150k miles. The front bumper was in rough shape. They said if that was a deal breaker they would get it resprayed. The electronics did some funky things. The air bag light tends to stick on due to the seat belt on the driver's side. The top seemed to need the button down held for an extended period of time to register. Overall, if I needed a Boxster tomorrow, I'd consider it if it was significantly cheaper. Salesman was nice and willing to put effort in. I just don't think this is the car.

Next was a Black 2001 for $8500 w/76k miles

This picture makes it look good cosmetically. Made some weird rattles that the other one didn't. Didn't even drive this one. It smelled funny inside, perhaps a smoker?. It had a clear bra on the front which would need to be removed. Top worked well, but would need to be replaced or a new rear window stitched in as it was opaque. Salesman was nice. Asked what I thought and I politely said I would pass. I think this might be one of the cheapest ones at a dealer in my state.

Last for the day was a Silver 2001 with a stripe: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=238749357

I didn't call the dealer or anything before hand and just showed up towards the end of the day. They were busy, but gave me the keys to start it up. It hesitated a little trying to turn over (perhaps a batter, perhaps because the gas needle was resting on E). The silver paint was probably the nicest exterior I had seen that day. Driver's side seat was on the verge of ripping and it also had an aroma of lots of car fresheners trying to possibly mask a smoker. And at that point, it's when I called it quits for the day. The salesman was a little busy to offer a test drive, so I left.

I took a peak at one with a factory hard top last week and missed the dealer (I think they left early). I called them today to see if they would be there past closing as I wasn't going to make it. I didn't expect them to wait, but figured it was worth a shot. Perhaps, I'll try again next week when I'm in the area. Exterior wise, that car was probably the nicest. I can't comment on anything else since I didn't even sit in it. So we shall see.

I've seen a couple of private sales, but just not quite the right colors yet. Although I'm beginning to learn that the nicer the car, that the price over KBB will be higher.

To be continued...
Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

You're right in the ballpark, although you can obviously do better with a private sale. The red interior is kind of cool, but there are so many silver and black Boxsters out there. I'd hold out for an interesting color, if it was me. My two are Hunter Green and Speed Yellow.

I'm about to list my daughter's Audi TT Roadster for sale. Red/Black. Needs nothing, runs great. I'll let it go for $6000 and I'll even deliver it (I have friends up your way).
Old 06-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the prices seem high considering the issues you found. For me those are read flags indicating that much more serious issues might not show up before a thorough PPI is done.

Why don't you work with a friend who is a PCA member who keep an eye on the Mart. Also, your local region might have some Booth are great sources for loved, well maintained cars.

If you don't have a PCA member friend look up your local region membership chair and tell him that you want to buy a 986 and then join PCA. Then ask him if he knows of any for sale.

Last edited by Anker; 06-23-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd look for a car through a private party that's enthusiast owned, well documented and honestly represented. A dealer is only motivated to move inventory. They likely know just as much as you do (or less) about the car in question since at this point they're just selling off trade ins and auctioned cars.

Sure 986s are cheap to purchase these days, but they still cost serious $$$ to maintain them properly. Many/most examples out there haven't been well maintained because their just viewed as old used cars. Why drop thousands of $ into a worn car that will likely only enhance the resale by a few hundred $? Only a crazy car enthusiast (like us) would do that...

Either look for a really cheap example with the expectation of dropping serious cash on it to sort it out right, or aim for the best example that you can afford (e.g. single owner, well loved, being sold by the widow of a lifetime PCA member, etc.).
Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 AM
TimboAA
AutoX

Thanks for the tips! I'll admit I've only been informed mostly by the internet gospels of information. I love when I ask, "do you have the service history?" and they say, "yes, it's been serviced regularly per the Carfax."

The dealer inventory seems to be seriously lacking. There's hardly anything near me regardless of private/dealer. Those cars I went to look at were all 1h20m - 2hrs away. I've got one more at a dealer to consider that I'll look at when I'm the area again (I'll just combine it with another trip) if it's still available. I'm in no rush, so that's a plus. Just nothing had that "this is the one" feeling or even the "I'd put this one on the short list" feeling haha.

Even the most recent 986 listing in the NER PCA is like 7 months old.

My purchasing budget (max $12-13k) definitely fits this car, it' just been tough finding a decent one...actually who am I kidding? I've been scouring the internet for months and when I finally decide to go look the inventory is lousy. So I wouldn't say it's tough yet. Even my current car took a month or two of hunting. The cars are out there, I just better not go spend the money on my other hobby first! :P

T

And in regards to that Audi TT Roadster....tempting....I just want RWD again. I had a friend with a TT that I got to drive every once in a while and that was fun!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-boxster-16/

Always nice Boxsters on BaT - Search their site and look at previous sales to get a feel for what your budget should get you. Best of luck.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:08 AM
MrAllegro
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy hunting Tim. It was great meeting you. Patience is rewarded in car shopping! I also agree with the advice that a private party sale, if from someone who cared for their car, will get you the best deal.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboAA
Even the most recent 986 listing in the NER PCA is like 7 months old.
Year, the NER listings are ancient. Unfortunately the members really don't use it. Its my responsibility, so I'm going to do something about it, just not sure what. Maybe just remove the mart.

Anyway, you should go to the PCA National listings: https://www.pca.org/browse-the-mart-classified-ads

You may consider posting a wanted ad yourself. Last time I bought a Boxster I did that and had good luck with it. I ended up buying from another NER member.

If you aren't a PCA member I'm willing to give you a bit of assistance. What's your zip code?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like you're already following the PCA Mart for car listings. Also watch the for sale section of 986forum.com. BAT is another good tip. It wouldn't hurt to post a WTB post here and elsewhere. You never know what might shake loose. The owners of the good ones might not be looking to sell, but if they notice there's a serious buyer they might reach out.

Last edited by Spyder_Man; 06-25-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

I saw a nice speed yellow near me for under $9k. I'll see if I can find it again.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:18 PM
TimboAA
AutoX

I've found a couple to consider, but nothing that has peaked my interest enough to make the trek.

I've found one that I'm going to go take a peek at tomorrow provided no ones plans change or someone doesn't come in and swipe it from under me.

Asking $6k. Dark blue w/grey interior 2000 base. Looks clean from photos (they all do), 95k miles, needs the AC compressor replaced as per the ad. Top will need to be replaced eventually as the back window has a crease and appears to be starting to slowly turn opaque. Best of all, I think it's within about 30 minutes of me. Everything else I have seen and considered is easily 1h15min or more. I like driving, but driving the Mass Pike is only so much fun. On paper, this one might be the best deal I've found....we shall see.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you're right in the ball park. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 AM
TimboAA
AutoX

Success! Or so we shall see. Came home with the 2000 Boxster tonight. Price was right based on everything I was seeing out here. It's not perfect, which suits my personality a little bit more than searching for the perfect one. It gives me something to tinker with as well. It needs a few things here and there, but for the money, this was the deal to be had out here. I'm hardly finding any thing south of $8k so this one at an asking of $6k was a deal.

On the short list will be some general maintenance/cleaning, AC compressor, driver's side seat (has seat covers, but it's otherwise in rough shape), some plastic bits, a top (rear window is foggy/has a crease, but not the worse I've seen), and eventually a paint respray. It looks as if one of the previous owners did highway miles behind the sand truck in the winter.

Pics to come before I start a new thread.

Thanks again for every ones help in the hunt. *Fingers crossed* everything continues to go smoothly.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Boxster noses seem take a beating. My '99 is covered with nicks, like it has measles, and the clearcoat is bubbling and peeling horribly on the '01. But, they drive fine, so whatevs.

I think it was mentioned before: Get the two Pelican books and become familiar with Burner on YouTube and you'll be fine. These things are easy to maintain.

Enjoy your car!

Quick Reply: Considering a 986...so many newbie questions - Sorry!