Sponsored by:

2001 986 rhd clicking behind the dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:05 PM
indieworks
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 986 rhd clicking behind the dash

Hi this is my first post so hope I don't mess it up. Been working on my son's Boxster 3.2S tiptronic for 2 years outside on the drive. It had been standing for 7 years unused prior to this and was in a very bad state.
Finally got it roadworthy but I have a strange clicking from behind the right hand side of the dashboard in the area of the ignition switch ( I have replaced the electrical part of the switch to resolve other problems)
The clicking only starts when the ignition switch is inserted and switched on. If I then operate the buttons on my remote key the frequency of the clicking slows and synchronises with the flashing led on the remote. When I release the button the frequency increases again.
Note that remote locking and the alarm system are not yet working on the car. This is a work in progress job.
Note it is not the cabin temperature sensor fan as this is on the left hand side and I have changed that anyway and the air conditioning is turned off and I have set the fan speed to zero.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is that the immobilizer is dead and that what you hear is a relay clicking on and off due to the dead immobilizer. All the main relays are in the driver's foot well. Open the cover and put your head in the foot well and see if you can hear the noise coming from the relays. If you are lucky you will be able to feel what relay is clicking by touching them.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Anker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anker
My guess is that the immobilizer is dead and that what you hear is a relay clicking on and off due to the dead immobilizer. All the main relays are in the driver's foot well. Open the cover and put your head in the foot well and see if you can hear the noise coming from the relays. If you are lucky you will be able to feel what relay is clicking by touching them.
This was written for a LHD car. Not sure where the relays are in a RHD one.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Anker
This was written for a LHD car. Not sure where the relays are in a RHD one.
I would imagine the relays would be in the same spot... only on the right side. No?
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 AM
indieworks
Track Day

Hi, yes the relays are in the right hand side foot well but the clicking is definitely from behind the ignition switch area. The car starts o.k so the immobiliser is fine I assume. When I changed the ignition electrical switch I took a photo which shows what looks like a coaxial cable hanging loose in the area just above the curved plastic cable guide. Might this have something to do with the problem?
Photo enclosed
Just to clarify checked again and the following happens
key in position 0 no clicking
key in position 1 selected and clicking starts
key in position 2 selected and ignition on the clicking stops
If I then switch back to position 0 with the key in the clicking continues until I pull the key out

Last edited by indieworks; 06-08-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: extra information to add
Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Anker
Instructor

I think it is the electronic part of the ignition switch. My theory is that there is a poor connection in position 1 that causes one of the relays to click on and off continuously. The switch is inexpensive, relatively easy to change, and one of the maintenance items on the 986. Wouldn't hurt to replace it and then chase other options if the clicking persists.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Black Box
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switch the heat/AC control to off It sort of sounds like the Air damper motor is jammed.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:00 AM
indieworks
Track Day

Hi thanks for the comment. I have changed the electrical part of the ignition switch because it was difficult to insert the key and on withdrawing parts of the cluster stayed on permanently. That is now cured. I took photos and have only just seen the cable or wire hanging loose. The clicking is about 10 Hz and I discovered today that with the ignition switched to position 1 (auxiliaries) the clicking stops if I lock the doors using the lock button on the dashboard.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM
indieworks
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestion but the ac is turned off as I have no gas in the system due to a leak somewhere. Had new condensers fitted and new dryer. Worked for a bit then lost the gas again. The return pipe by the front right jacking point is a bit squashed but can't see a leak. nothing leaking by the compressor but needs much more investigation. Been off the road for 9 years and only just got it roadworthy.
My website tells the story of what I have done so far. It seems that everything that can go wrong with a Boxster has manifested on this car but I am enjoying the challenge and love driving it.
www.anthonyclarke.uk

Quick Reply: 2001 986 rhd clicking behind the dash